Swivel Snaps...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
Does anyone use a snap on the end of their line in order to be lazy about knots? Does this really effect the bait all that much? Look at a spinner bait, that has all sorts of wire in front. I seems that it would be a heck of a lot easier. I have seen those mini snaps that they have a BPS. You squeeze them and thread the bait on. Does anyone know what # test they are? I would love to use them for inshore baits that I change a lot.

If you get lazy about your knots, you will lose fish, reguardless of snap or not...

I used to use Snap Swivels exclusively. Mostly because i'm lazy and I also thought it would (as advertised) keep line twist to a minimum. Over the last few years, the more folks I fish with that fish MORE and better, it seems most folks do NOT use Snap Swivels. So right now i'm in the middle, on crank baits I use one so I can switch quickly (I use a small one, I don't remember the size). But do not now use them on Top Waters, plastics and the like.

But with the exception of the big fish at the Rally, i've not done well lately with or with out them!!! LOL

About the only time I use a snap..is NOT bass fishin:)

I use them to connect my trolling weights to a inline spinner for walleyes and that's about it:)

Someone mentioned these on an earlier post: Norman Speed Clips

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklestore/showcase.cfm?PID=912

They are awesome for crankbaiting and somewhat ok for spinnerbaits (can slip up and down the wire occassionaly, but not too often.) Can swap cranks in a few seconds for depth, color changes, etc... I haven't tried any on plastics. I don't think I would like what it could do to your sensitivity.

I use the Norman clips almost always on crankbaits so I can change baits/depths/colors a lot. There was an article in Bassmaster within the past several months talking about them. Curt Lytle uses them exclusively, as do many others.

I have NEVER lost a fish with one of these, but I have thrown a few lures off when the snap hit something and started coming off without me knowing it. Lytle even mentioned that in the article.

On those Norman things, do you just replace the split ring on all your cranks? or use it like a snap swivel on the line and connect to the split ring on the lure??

I'm sorry guys I definitely don't use em' on cranks. It DOES effect the lure movement on small cranks that have a tight wiggle(Bandits). I just keep two or three rods already tied up if I want to experiment with colors. I guess it's a lot of personal preference:)

You would take the split ring off of the lure (I do anyway). I do not like anything other than my line to the lure.

TOXIC

Then do you tie directly to the crank with palomar, clinch, whatever your preference or do you use a loop knot to let the crank "wiggle" more? With the smaller boats, you realistically can't have 20 rods on board (I can't anyway ;-) ), so I use the speed clips. That being said, if I was to fish in any tournaments, then I would tie directly to the crank and remove one less point of failure. So I'm back to my orignal question ;-) which way do you prefer?

Thanks.

The thing on the speed clips is the way the effect the depth of your crankbait. If the drag of say a 20 lb test line will cause the crankbait run as much as 2 or 3 feet shallower than with a 10 or 12 lb test. Does it not make sense that the speed clip would cause a similar type of drag. Knots need to be retied regularly anyway so just go ahead and do your best, put out the effort and retie. What would you think of Shaq if he came out on the court wearing street shoes because it was too much trouble to change into his basketball shoes.

As far as the snap swivels are concerned, I believe they are for beginners only. The only legitimate use I can think of for them are for jigging spoons, and even then I hate them.

Harpo

I tried the snaps 2 years ago and found that I was forgetting to check the line and knot and lost some fish. I like the snaps when trying new water to switch quickly but then when I find what works I tie direct. (this applies to crank baits only)

BF

Back