SW PA folks - Muskie expo Jan 7-9

• Thread starter Rich D [URL]http://www.extrememuskieexpo.com/Pitts
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
Anyone in the SW Pennsylvania area that might be interested, there will be a 3 day Muskie Expo at Robert Morris University. See the link below for more details. It is a great place to ease the pain of spring fever!

Show Hours:

Friday 4pm to 9pm

Saturday 10am to 7pm

Sunday 10am to 4pm

Admission: Friday- $8, Sat & Sun- $10

Three Day Pass $15, Children under 12 Free

Rich D

http://www.extrememuskieexpo.com/Pittsburgh.htm

OK, Rich..... Really, really stoopid questions.....

What all is there at a "Muskie Expo"? Do they REALLY have enough new information available for someone to spend $8 or $10 to get in? Is it just a bunch of vendors? Do they have lots of seminars?

It's just that there is so little muskie fishing available in my area that I can't imagine any of this stuff! :)

me!

Hey! Tom Wehler looks a bit like Magna19!

Jeff, you been moonlighting? :)

Rich,

I only catch musky & pike by accident. The cabin fever isn't that bad yet to go. I think I'll wait until Harrisburg in February...

Brian

Staci,

It's hard to find a lake or river in S.W. Pa that doesn't have pike or musky,or both in them.

Steve

Staci,

Like Dave said, hook into a couple and your questions will be answered.

Rich D

The closest lake to me with Musky is Shelbyville - about 100 miles east in Illinois. I've fished it maybe a dozen times and never have seen anyone with a musky although I've heard of them being caught. In fact, I think the Illinois state record comes from the river just below the dam.

Greg Meyer - Wanna hook up there some day?

Pomme de Terre in Missouri is supposed to have a good population but I've never been there.

All the times I've been to Minnesota and Canada..... I've caught lots of northerns..... But never a musky.....

Where I live, we have flathead catfish instead!

me!

Did I just read that Missouri made 'noodling' legal? For those that don't know, noodling is when they wade in the rivers and catch the catfish by hand. I want to see someone try that with a muskie!

Flatheads are fun to catch, but nothing gets the blood pumping faster than watching a 40" fish follow your bait up to the boat then slam it at boatside. That is when the fighting starts, six inches of line, a twelve inch leader and a p!$$*& off fish!

Rich D

I told the story about reeling in a buzz bait over a weedbed on Champlain and having a musky or pike (it happened waaay too fast) launch out of the water as I pulled the bait in for another cast, bounce off the motor, and hit me in the chest (knocking me over the seats from the back deck).

TOXIC

Rich,

It seems that I hit in to small pike & musky at Yellow Creek lake in Indiana County just about every time I fish there. In some places I hate to throw a spinner bait or anything that even resembles a large minnow for fear of it being either beat up or nearly destroyed. They are never really big but they are fun to catch.

Brian

Small pike are the pigeons of the underwater world! They have no pride and will hit anything! If you want to get someone hooked on fishing, take them to a lake with a mess of small pike, put on a cheapo white spinnerbait and have fun!

Rich D

Rich -

I couldn't care less if they make noodling legal or not..... There is something VERY unappealing to me about reaching inside a hollow log in muddy water hoping to stick my hand in the mouth of a large catfish and wrestle it to the surface...... Uh,uh! Not me! No way! Not in your life! Use Meyer's hand!

I have had pike follow my baits right to my canoe while fishing in Minnesota and Canada..... It is a blast to see them open those big, toothy mouths to inhale their quarry at the very last moment! I can just imagine what it must be like with something in the 40# category! WOW!! Stephen King, are you listening?!!?

me!

The fish that got me started seriously fishing for muskie was a monster. Definitely over 50 inches with a head the size of a frying pan! It grabbed a Bomber model A crank and came in nice and easy, I thought it was a big hunk of weeds at first. We saw it about 10 feet from the boat, my buddy grabbed the net, but the fish had other ideas. It calmly swam to the boat, under the boat, away from the boat. It passed go, collected its two hundred dollars and kept going! For a brief second, I thought I could turn it on my medium action rod with 10lb test. I pulled it launched itself out of the water and was gone! When it swam under the boat, I had flashbacks to Jaws!

Rich D

A musky caught on bass gear.....guess where?
wme1muskyl.jpg

Make sure you see Bob Brunner at the show. He has been fishing in St Clair since 1927, he still guides AND he casts, not trolls.

Mini

Mini,

I saw Bob last year, I was hoping he would be back this year. I did a little name dropping and mentioned you and Mac. After that, we spent a good 45 minutes b.s.ing before the show opened. I bought a couple spinner baits off of him when we were done. I would love to spend a day in the boat with him. I may hire him for a day this year.

Rich D

Do it, the man is incredible on the water. Never a dull moment. I fished with him twice this past year....we never boated one, but brought quite a few to the boat. The size of those things chasing your lure will get your blood pumping! I think thats why he is in such good health!

When you see him this year ask him about me teaching him to tube fish....lol

We had a little contest and we determined our stories are correct. Musky guys catch big bass and bass guys catch big musky. I used a tube and caught 3 muskies, Bob used his spinner and a Red Eye and cuaght a 5 pound smallie....unreal.

Mini

I will be sure to bring up the tubes!

Not just bass, the biggest walleye I ever caught came on a muskie crank from a weed edge in about 9 ft of water. She went about 8lbs, around 34". And my step mother landed a 38" muskie on a jig and nightcrawler fishing a gravel hump for spring walleye!

If I do hire him, I will let you and Mac know, maybe we can all hook up!

Rich D

Tell Bob I said Hi too....I've fished with him several times, and he is a regular up at Camp Neeley.

Watched him catch a 6lb smallie on a red-eye....as Mini said....unreal!!!