Sushi

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried it? Whats it like? Is it worth trying?

This may be a real dum question..but do u have to go to a sushi place or can i just go to the lake and try something i catch?

BJ

I guess I'm in one of those adventurous moods.....

Sushi would be good if its deep fried...lol ;)

I spent 6 weeks in Japan in the 80s and ate whatever was placed in front of me, including quite a bit of sashimi (raw fish without the rice and seaweed, which is what makes it sushi). I wouldn't have it every day, but it is not a bad change of pace. I would go to a place that prepares it. The old Shogun up in NW OKC and Mt Fuji restaurant just north of Tinker used to do a real good job with it (if they are still there). Give it a try, it won't hurt. I just got back from a salmon fishing trip and a couple of the guys tried some really fresh salmon and said it wasn't bad. I'm not sure the texture and taste of the fish you catch around there will be real good that way.

Good luck. Go get "cultured" and Let us know what happens BJ.

ahi tuna...

the BEST sushi

...but octopus isn't too bad either!

az

Try it. Most of it is quite good, but go to a restaurant that prepares it.

Rich D

Sorry, I'm on one of those NO RAW FISH diets.

I've always thought about starting my own business.....

Harpo's Bait House and Sushi Bar

Today's bait is tomorrows Blue Plate

:lol:Harpo

Definitely go to a Japanese restaurant that has a sushi bar. Don't try eating the fish you catch yourself, unless you know what your are doing. Generally, fish served in sushi restaurants has been deep frozen to help destroy any potential parasites. The temps of the fish get lower than any home or even standard commercial freezer. The fish is also kept at extremely low temperatures in a very controlled environment. Handling is done carefully as to maintain the fish as fresh as possible. By contrast, the best stuff in your supermarket wouldn't even be looked at by a reputable sushi restaurant.

When you find a place, sit down at the sushi bar and talk to the head sushi chef. Ask him if he buys the fish himself. If he does, that's good - means he cares enough to be picky about buying fish as opposed to just accepting whatever comes into the restaurant. All the best sushi chefs do their own buying by either going to the commercial fish market OR having established such a good relationship with the supplier, that the supplier knows the quality and type of fish the chef will buy.

Get into a conversation and you'll learn a lot. Don't be afraid to tell him that you're new to sushi and wanted to try it. In fact, them his you're new to sushi and you would like to order "omakase" That means "chef's choice" in Japanese. Since he'll know your new, the chef will more than likely be happy to start you out tame and work up from there. There are cooked varieties of sushi, including a roasted eel filet (very mild white fish with a teriyaki sauce). There is also the popular "California roll" which is cooked crab meat (or the fake stuff), avocado and rice rolled with seaweed. Another good one is "spider roll" which is a deep fried softshell crab rolled with thin strips of cucumber in seasoned rice and seaweed. From there, you can go on to mild, but flavorful fishes like tuna, salmon, or flounder. Don't be afraid to ask questions as GOOD sushi chefs love to talk about their craft. Kind of like fishermen loving to talk about fishing!

Good luck and have fun! I've been eating the stuff since I was knee-high to a grasshopper and its still some of my favorite type of food. Oh, one last thing, because of the extremely high quality of the fish, sushi is NOT cheap. The quality is key and you get what you pay for. For that reason, I would never eat at an "all-you-can-eat" place or a "fast food" sushi joint. Quality fish does not lend itself to such practices well.

JC

JC-

Are you sure on the 'frozen' part?

I have never had sushi that was frozen first...

Always FRESH!

az

Andy - yup. Very sure - at least for fishes like tuna, yellowtail, flounder, calamari, and some salmon. There simply is no other way to keep it as fresh as necessary from boat to restaurant. I've even been there when the sushi chef has gotten a shipment that's received and sliced still partly frozen. Keep in mind that "frozen" as applied to sushi is another world of "freezing" compared to what's done at home or even standard commercial for other meats. Heck, the whole tuna purchased from U.S. fisheries and sent to Japan for use as sushi and sashimi are deep frozen as well. It doesn't mean the fish is not fresh. As I understand the fishing industry, some fish is frozen on the boat right after being caught. Having caught tuna on a recreational deep sea fishing trip, I can attest to how quickly the fish beings to turn after being caught. It literally is a matter of hours.

With that said, there are some sushi fishes that are not frozen - typically, items that can be kept live up to serving like abalone and certain types of claims. Others are already cooked or will be cooked so need only refrigeration (e.g., eel, octopus, crab meat, soft shell crab). Still others are pickled - mostly the roe such as flying fish roe, salmon roe, etc.

JC

bj give it a shot i also suggest to start off with the rolls they are normally cooked product and if you ask the server their is generally a begginers menu .. do not i repeat do not try the raw sashimi your first trip. i did this and it ruint me on sushi for a while. i eventually went beck asked for a begginers menu and love to eat this.. the sushi rolls are a dinner of body building champions daily diet.. they are very healthy and jay cutler reigning arnold classic champion is said to eat 500$ worth a week.. you can expect to pay anywhere from 3 to 5$ a roll in texas not sure up north

Just curious, but why in the heck do u need a chef for fish that isn't cooked?

Also how can u have fresh fish that is frozen?

Shows u how uncultured and redneck i am.:rolleyes:

mmmmmmmm....... I love those california rolls! BJ, make sure you take a heaping tablespoon of wasabi with each bite. :D

Jim C is definitely right about the fish and parasites - it actually is called flash freezing.

BJ - if you have never tried it before, I recommend starting with some "cooked"rolls like what Sully suggested - a california roll or a philly roll or a cucumber roll. You can also try hand-formed sushi with cooked shrimp.

Once you get used to this, then go for spicy tuna rolls, salmon and then get more adventurous. I love spanish mackeral and you can usually find some interesting fish on the menu of bigger sushi places. If you get really hooked on it and have the money, ask for some high grade tuna - usually from the belly of the tuna.

Depending on the kind of sushi place, I will usually go to the sushi bar look at how the chef has prepared other's sushi and do what is called omakase if I like the way the chef is doing the preparation and his technique is good. This means that you leave it up to the sushi chef to prepare whatever he wants for you. Typically it is more expensive but you get the best meal.

If you get into it, I can suggest three of the best sushi places on the east coast - all of them known for different sushi and atmosphere. Three times a year, my friends and I will plan on meeting in NY and Washington DC to go to these places just for dinner and to catch up on familes, jobs, etc... I just came back from a trip to NY and my friends and I were just talking about that.

Again, I would recommend that you start out slowly and order cooked fish.

Hey - sushi can be more adictive than fishing! Good luck! Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Jim C is definitely right about the fish and parasites - it actually is called flash freezing.

BJ - if you have never tried it before, I recommend starting with some "cooked"rolls like what Sully suggested - a california roll or a philly roll or a cucumber roll. You can also try hand-formed sushi with cooked shrimp.

Once you get used to this, then go for spicy tuna rolls, salmon and then get more adventurous. I love spanish mackeral and you can usually find some interesting fish on the menu of bigger sushi places. If you get really hooked on it and have the money, ask for some high grade tuna - usually from the belly of the tuna.

Depending on the kind of sushi place, I will usually go to the sushi bar look at how the chef has prepared other's sushi and do what is called omakase if I like the way the chef is doing the preparation and his technique is good. This means that you leave it up to the sushi chef to prepare whatever he wants for you. Typically it is more expensive but you get the best meal.

If you get into it, I can suggest three of the best sushi places on the east coast - all of them known for different sushi and atmosphere. Three times a year, my friends and I will plan on meeting in NY and Washington DC to go to these places just for dinner and to catch up on familes, jobs, etc... I just came back from a trip to NY and my friends and I were just talking about that.

Again, I would recommend that you start out slowly and order cooked fish.

Hey - sushi can be more adictive than fishing! Good luck! Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Hey Bill MK - where do you go in NYC and DC? My favorite sushi chef left the restaurant I frequented in Northern VA and I'm on the hunt for another place. Been to Tachibana's in McLean, VA and their quality and service are inconsistent.

RW - preparation of sushi requires a "chef" because it is an art. Those trained in Japan go through an extensive and rigorous training program that last years. The equipment, preparation, ingredients, etc. are all highly specialized. For example, the knife used to cut the sushi alone is high carbon steel that can cost easily in the thousands of dollars for a single knife. Those suckers are razor sharp and about 18 inches long (heck, razors are DULL by comparison!). If you don't know what you're doing, you can easily slice apart a hand in seconds. There is also the method of cutting, presenting and blending ingredients. It takes skill to cut up the fish in order to maximize yield, slice in the correct direction, and present each slice consistently. Even with "nigiri" sushi (slice of fish laid on top of a ball of seasoned rice), the chef must know how to combine the still warm rice with the cool fish, minimize handling and serve quickly enough that the temperatures don't start to meld. And this is only a sliver of the skills a good chef requires. So sushi "chefs" really do earn their title.

Damn - now I'm hungry!

JC

And be sure and use quite a bit of that green guacamole spread they have there. Really 'tunes up' the sushi! I think they call it wasbi.

Much like everyone else has said, go to a decent place and talk with the 'sushi chef'. They will usually take care of you.

I like it as a change of pace.

Tex

For those interested in learning more about "flash freezing" which takes fish down to a temperature of -70 degrees (conventional commercial freezing only goes down to about -10 degrees, your home freezer goes to about zero), check out this article from the NYTimes attached below. Its interesting to note that in the United States, under FDA regulations, it is ILLEGAL to serve raw fish that has NOT been frozen because of parasite concerns - the only exception being tuna, although for availability and shipping reasons, its frozen as well. I did get one thing wrong on my post above. Specifically, I noted that I thought that some of the roes were not frozen (e.g., salmon roe). Turns out that its frozen as well.

JC
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/health/article-page.html?res=9E02E0D91438F93BA35757C0A9629C8B63

Jim C - in DC (actually Georgetown), the place I go to is called Makoto. Several years ago, the Japanese Ambassador to Japan said that this was the second best place in the US to get sushi. When asked where the best place was, he commented - "My embassy" because he has his own personal chef he brings from Japan! The place is very traditional and you need to make reservations in advance.

In NYC, I like to go to Sushi Yasuda. Chef Yasuda is a master with the knife. I always do omakase when I go there and you should make sure to sit at his station.

The other place I go to in NYC is Nobu. This is more traditonal and isn't just sushi. They have a cooked miso bass that is amazing.

All three are big $$$$ but well worth it if you want great sushi.

There is a place in Philly I have yet to go to but have heard great things about (Morimoto's).

I have been to the west coast and always walk away with the feeling it isn't as good as the east coast for some reason.

I haven't been to Japan but am thinking of taking a trip out to experience all of the different nuances they probably have in their types of sushi and preparation.

Hope that helps Jim. Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Back