Surge brakes????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
Are surge brakes something that the dealer can put on after you buy the trailer, or is it something that should come from the factory. I am buying a Nitro 1800 from the Baltimore, Bass Pro and my sales guy is a little slow and can't answer most of my questions. Otherwise I trust the dealer a lot, and they will back up the sale. I hope one of you all can help me with this one.

Thanks....

Wookie, they come from the factory that way. It's surge brakes as opposed to electrical brakes.

Surge brakes have a cylinder in the tongue that is activated by the trailer shifting forward due to inertia when you hit the brakes on your tow vehicle. When you pull foward it disengages the system.

With electical brakes, there are activated by a solenoid tied into your wiring harness and activated by the brake lights of your tow vehicle.

You CAN get aftermarket brake systems for a trailer, typically electric, but they are quite pricy.

Wookie I looked into putting aftermarket brakes on my DC 170's trailer when I was pulling with my Explorer. Forget it your better off buying a new trailer with the brakes already installed if it's that necessary. I have a F150 now and no problem.

fatrap

I had surge brakes added to trailer on an lx700 done by dealer,so it can be done,may be $1000-1500 intalled

I also installed surge disc brakes with a Champion Kit. $389. Not a difficult process for someone with a few skills and good tools. They work great and make me feel much safer. btw: DO NOT use electric brakes on a submersible trailer. A local trailer company estimated $400 range including installation.

Back