Superchip

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Smith

Reaction score
My dad just installed a Superchip in his 2002 Ford F350 deisel. His reasons were of the poor gas milage and no hp off the line. After he insalled the chip he is now getting 24-26 mpg on the highway and 23 around town. This is compared to what he was getting highway mpg-14-15 and around town mpg-14. He also had a notice of HP increse.

If you guys want more info on this or the website just drop me a line.

BTW- It aint cheap ($300) but it will pay for its self in a few weeks with gas prices the way they are. Also Im not which vehicles it is compatable with but I do know they are compatable with Ford trucks (gas and desiel).

T.S.

A friend of mine put this on his chevy 1500. I know it will work with chevys. I would like to get one for my truck but just not right now.

BJ

Ok

What's a super chip and why isn't it standard. Is it good for gasoline engines. My 4.6 could use some help when the camper's on and the boat is behind. 8mpg ouch!

fatrap

check here I had one on my 94 Ranger worked great for towing

http://www.jetchip.com

Careful....those chips, if found by your dealer will void any warranty. Likewise, you "chip" the engine, Diesel or Gas and you are messing with the brain to your engine. There are risks....big risks......Word up!

TOXIC

Like Tox said,"BE CAREFUL"...especially on warranty. Myself..I wouldn't do it until warranty was up.

You can also check into Stylinconcepts.com and check out their Banks diesel performance packages...Talk about increases...WOW! :0

TEE

I had a buddy put one on his Dodge Cummings a while back. The HP increase was correct but the gas mileage readout was slightly off. From the read out in the tuck he went from about 14 to 24, then after he checking it at the pump it was actually about 17mpg. Somehow it made the display read wrong. I would double check it to be safe. His would smoke tires up to fourth gear, he also removed the muffler and put a K&N on it.

Donnie

Hey fatrap, your truck does need some help. I have a 23'motorhome with a Ford 460, carb, 3 speed auto trans and pulling a 18' glass fish/ski. I get 8 or 9 mpg, as long as I keep the pedal off the foor. A chip can't helpe me because of its age. Gas is my biggest expense. That is why I am looking for a storage facility close to the lake. Also Ky. is all hills, up & down, up & down. Fatrap, you could be short on horsepower and wind drag could be the cause of your milage.

Good post Travis, glad to hear there is hope for the wallet. The best fishing lakes is always far from the big cities.

Marvin

Our local Dealer is selling them on their shelf as an aftermarket right next to the trucks on the lot! Now if they void the warrentee thats kind of defeating the purpose isnt it?

T.S.

Gotta read the fine print. It's no different than when I bought my jeep Wrangler. The dealer has all of this "off road" add on equipment that you can buy but if you damage your vehicle while "Off Roading" (engine, powertrain, drivetrain, wheels...whatever) they can and will deny a warranty claim because it happened off road. Caveat Emptor or how ever that goes.

TOXIC

If you have a Ford, the link below is the company you want to deal with. Brian Herron of Apten is a leading expert on this stuff, has created some great chip programs for various applications.

In addition to Superchip, Apten, there is also the Diablo chip (had one for a while), and Jet.

Basically, these chips contain more aggressive computer programming for shifts and fuel mixtures to get the most out of your motor. As long as you are running gas that doesn't knock (usually premium) when the chip advances the timing, you can do so safely. The performance is notably better. The chips are also smart enough to dial back the performance in knock conditions, but

There are some issues about warranty, but the law is clear on this matter. Aftermarket parts don't void your warranty unless the failure was caused by the aftermarket part. However, there are some dealers who want you to pay a higher, non-warranty rate for repairs than they get from the manufacturer for warranty repairs, and will try to convince you that your warranty is void.
http://www.apten-us.com/