Super Guide 16 - thoughts please!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Smiley

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

Brand new here, and hoping to get some good information from the people who should know best. I live in western Massachusetts, near a huge (by New England standards) impoundment, Quabbin Reservoir, and the Connecticut River. Lots of local lakes and ponds, plus I can be in protected Rhode Island coastal waters in about 2 hours.

I'm in the market for a new boat, and value-wise, the Super Guide 16 single console with 25 EFI 4-stroke Merc looks like a terrific deal. I would truly love to know what you folks think of this rig, in terms of utility, room, quality, etc. What is VERY important is a performance question: will this boat plane at 25 mph with two guys and gear? On Quabbin, 25 hp 4-strokes are the limit, and thusly that's the biggest outboard I can seriously consider.

OK, that's it. Tell me what you think. NO detail is too small!

Guy - I SERIOUSLY considered this boat in 2000 (but with a 40 Merc) when I bought my Pro Crappie 175. In fact, if Tracker had not come out with the Pro Crappie in 2000, I would have bought the S.G. V16. My only issues were it did NOT have a trolling motor as part of the package. When you added the Trolling motor, the battery, installation, fish finder (it does NOT come standard with any) and such, it actualy came out HIGHER priced then a Pro Crappie with all the fixins! In fact a Pro Crappie today is only $400 more includes 2 livewells, 2 baitwells, the trolling motor, battery, fish finder and more. Oh and the Pro Crappie is longer and wider!

Just my thoughts as I also realy liked this boat. Now I will say that the deeper V and available ($125) vinyl floor would be a hair better for salt water fishing.

Trep

Welcome to the board..:D

#1 thing -- Take a test ride in the boat you are wanting.. Checkout The way it handles and check out your dealer..

I have a 115 hp 4stroke-- Super good on the gas.. I get the boat out on a average-- once a week --March thru Nov.. Because I don't need to make long runs-- I'll only use about 60 gal. of gas a season..If I was on the big lakes - like Lake of the Ozaks that would change.

Good Luck,

Rick

Guy,

I had a 1995 Pro Guide V-16 until I stepped into a TV-18. Mine had a 40 hp. It did pretty well when it came to speed, maybe 25-26 depending on weight and other things (my partener was a big man). I'd see about stepping up in hp a little if you can. There was decent storage but the rod lockers were a little small. It was the first boat I ever owned, so it kept me content for 5 years. I only stepped up in size due to tournements I started fishing. Oh yeah, the best thing I did was throw a 54 lb trolling motor on it instead of the 36lb.

Good luck.

I have the ProAngler 16, which is almost the same boat. I have trouble getting on plane with the 25, but I am a big guy. When on plane, it runs about 20 mph. I would recommend getting the 40hp. Other than that, it is a great boat, especially for small to medium waters.

Rich D

Hello

I have a pt-165 with a 25 4-str that I use for quabbin, I get about 25 mph to 27 the boat handle really well. I actully went fishing for lakers on quabbin with about 2-3 foot swells and she did great. Don't get me wrong I was not running a wot in those conditions, just trolling. Had a couple of waves that would sprayed us.. hope this helps.

Thanks

x

I had a '01 Super Guide and had it for three years. I traded up to a Targa 16 and then a Targa 17WT. The Super Guide was my favorite boat that I have owned. I had a 50 horse on the back though. Top speed with two people and normal gear was around 38 mph. I could be on plane easily in four seconds. A 25 will be more sluggish, but you will love the layout and the fishability of it. You will not be disappointed in this boat.

my fishin' buddy has a 90 DV16 w/40 Evinrude and that lil' sumbich is bulletproof:cool:

Still going strong:D

Back