sunglasses

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TROY WAINRIGHT3

Reaction score
I need some advice on what the boards members are useing for sunglasses on the water.Ive had oakleys for 25 years and have been checking into a different brand.Leaning towards the casa dal mars.Any advice would be helpful.thanx.:cool:

I have a pair of Costa Del Mar 400 blue mirror FA11's and just love them. Bought them for saltwater sight fishing but they are very good all around glasses. Too nice for driving around and sitting on them. I couldn't spring for the 580's though. Very Sweet.

I have a pair like Berry has and they are great. I got them with my Cabela's points about 5 years ago. Alot of $'s for sunglasses but when you can see fish chasing your lure it makes it worth it. Chris F:cool:

Can i ask why your looking to switch brands?

The reason i ask is i have owned Costa del mar's, Maui Jim's and Oakley's and my personal take the Oakley's are every bit as good as the other two. I have the half jacket fishing specific and the lenses like i said are every bit as good. The big thing i like about the oakley's is the style i have seems to keep the wind off my eyes better at 60+ then the others do. They fit nice and tight to my face so i dont get blasted with air at speed. I had a pair of Maui's that did as well but i broke them and they dont make that style anymore.

I have a BRAND NEW pair of Costa Del Mar Stringers. Shiny black frames with the green mirror 400 lens. They are still in the box. I haven't even taken the sticker of the lens.

They sell for $189 plus tax and S&H.

I will sell mine for $140 SHIPPED to your door.

SolarBat since 1994. I wore the originals, then went to the Bat Eyes, and I'm currently wearing the Speed. I'd still be wearing the Bat Eyes if Doc hadn't discontinued that frame, but I got used to the Speed frames after a short while.

All the best,

Glenn

I've been using the same pair of Costa Del Mar Fhantoms for 4 years.I use them for driving and fishing.I had them made in prescriptions.Love them.

Keep an eye out on the website, www.steepandcheap.com

They will have CDM glasses on there often and the price has never been over $60. They are discontinued lines, but CDM will honor the warranty the same and you still get the CDM quality.

Gargolye Legends (I&II) for me since '95. Lightweight, soft spring loaded hinges to keep them from squeezing my big head. I use the polarized Toric curve (full wrap lense) shades on the boat for fishing and driving and the standard lense frames for other all around use. They're designed to withstand a point blank .22 cal. discharge and I believe they would. I know for a fact a snagged 1 oz. carolina rig coming free off the bottom won't break 'em! :rolleyes::lol:

I wear Ono's because I can't see worth a darn to tie my lines anymore....lol The readers are built in and they are good looking glasses too! I have had my pair for four years now and my Boston terrior (terrorist) just chewed the frame the other day. Called them and If I send them the lenses they will reframe them for 29 bucks.

Aside from prescription glasses, what are the reasons for spending more thasn $25 on a pair of sunglasses?

Hit yourself in the sunglasses with a 3/4 oz Carolina Rig weight while wearing $25 cheapies. Then (as you are recovering from eye surgury), get someone else to reply that you now understand why quality sunglasses are important. :p :lol:

I don't understand why people spend all that money on fishing equipment, boats, etc... but when it comes to the necessary tools that ALLOW you to use all that equipment (meaning your eyes - which allow you to drive, get to your location, pick equipment and fish), people skimp and go with the cheapies.

I wrote a much longer reply, explaining the differences in frame and lens material, etc... but had my password block blank - so the system reset my entire reply. Sorry.

All the best,

Glenn

Tru dat, Glenn! I can't tell you how many times my glasses have saved my eyesight. Either from my own stupidity (C-rig stuck shallow and 300lbs. of little 'ol me jerking it free! :wacko: :lol: ), buddy's errant cast or jerk, but moreover, some clients that I'd have to explain which end of the rod to hold onto, let alone worry about where their eventual cast may land. :blink: Also, between junebugs and/or coots at 70+ MPH, I'll never consider a cheap pair of glasses for protection, unless it's the only choice. ;)

I carry a few extra sets of sunglasses in my boat. 2 pairs are higher end SolarBats, and one pair of "cheapies". Anytime someone in my boat wants to tell me that their cheapies are just as good as my 'bats, I loan them a pair for the day. With very few exceptions, by the end of the day that person is asking me to either buy that pair, or asking where to buy them. The "few exceptions" I spoke of are generally people too stuborn to take me up on the offer to borrow a pair. I carry the one pair of cheapies for the occasional non-boater that forgets to bring their own. I still offer for them to do a comparison with my cheapies vs quality optics, and every time - they end up wearing the 'bats all day.

Dan J. - There have been many a junebug (or other insect) that met my lenses at that speed, as well as a few buddies casts. Great point.

All the best,

Glenn

Oh - forgot to add - The main reason that the "trial test" works so well is that people are using them on the water. Look through a pair of cheapies into a submerged weedline. Then take those glasses off and slip on a pair of quality glasses. I love to do this with SolarBat's Mossback lens. They almost always react the same. They do the "Whoa!", then remove them for a second, put them back on, remove them, put them back on, settle down, and then quietly say "Wow. What a difference". :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

I've been wearing Native polarized sunglasses and I really like them. They come with interchangable lens so I use the clear ones at night for bugs. They usually run around $100 or so but I buy them on clearance at www.rei.com. I'm on my 5th pair, lost 2 this year at WBT's.

Good idea Teri, that is what I used to do when I was shooting. Wonder why I stopped that for my fishing glasses??

Latest posts

Back