Sunglasses & perscriptions. Questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I, like many, need 'corrective sight' - now that I'm older. I now have trifocals (mostly because of this computer screen in front of me), but certainly need bi-focals. Right now, I've got auto-changing lenses, that are polarized. I wear a pair of 'polarized fit overs', when fishing. Too much stuff to keep track of.

Couple of questions:

1) What effects, if any, do you get with polarized fitovers, over already polarized glasses? And no, I don't think the polarization on my perscriptions is that good.

2) Anyone have any experience with persripition polarized fishing glasses (wrap around types that block extra light?

Used to be, when I had on a pair of good polarized glasses, I could really tell the difference. One place that happened, is looking at tinted windows on cars (good tint, like from the factory). When you put on the polarized glasses, you could see the 'colored spots' in the window. I don't see that anymore.

Anyway, fire away with suggestions and such. Having my annual checkup in 10 days, and want to move to a better solution while fishing (maybe just a staight bifocal).

Tex

Just ask for a copy of your prescription and contact any of the top names in sunglasses. Most if not all do RX glasses now.

An easy way to tell if glasses are polarized is to hold a known pair of polarized glasses 90 degrees to yours and look through both lenses. If they are polarized the lenses will go black.

Mini

Mini's right, All the big names will fill your perscription glasses. I have a pair of Jeep glasses that have rubber around the lenses. they fit real tight around my eyes. i also need bi-focals but don't use them for fishing. the problem with the fitovers is the amount of distortion in the lenses. go buy yourself a good pair, but they ain't cheap i paid 250.00 for mine on top of insurance!!! well worth it

I just bought a pair of Cocoons and really like them so far. $39 a pair anin't bad and they are alot lighter than the Fitovers that are way too heavy. I'll be using them strictly for sightfishin' and protection from the side shields(which are guaranteed not to fall out or break). They fit nicely but, have a little blind spot(which all side shielded glasses do. Check out their website @ Cocoons.com...I ordered mine thru Cabelas. BTW..three sizes:)

TEE

I used some of those fit over things and junk kept getting between the lenses. Finally solved the problem when they blew off on a rough ride. I only need readers so I bought some polarized reading sunglasses at the dollar store.

fatrap

I need the 'reading' lens for anything small/close or reading. I've also got a distance astigmatism that gives me a little trouble. I can drive (and/or fish) with no distance correction, but it's better when I have them on.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to try the polarization trick (with two pairs of glasses).

Tex

I just wear glasses for close up stuff like tying knots. I use fitovers but I can't say I'm all in love with them. I have some expensive prescription sunglass, Serangeti Drivers, but I don't like taking them on the boat. They don't fit my face well enough to make me sure they wouldn't fall off. I would really like to find some fitover type sunglasses that were a higher quality.

Harpo

i use fitovers over clear lens bifocals there perfect and there a lot like goggles so my eyes don't water flying down the lake. i didn't like them over photo grey lenses. too dark to see. i got caught in a flash storm on the way home in my truck and my partner asked me how i was able to see to drive. i told him i could see just fine. i had left on my fitovers. i took them off and i could not see a thing. polarized lenses reduce splash glare on your winshield during rain also. i use the brown lenses. for me they work best. more info than you asked for but i'm bored. thanks stan

A good pair of speck is essential...polorized and mahe to order. They won't be cheap but they are worth the $$. I have clip on's ....yeah Corey and Greg, I got another pair but I use a cheap pair of Bill Dance glasses in the boat. They are actually better than the clip on's!! I am getting ready to order a pair from Action Optics and will let you know how they work. All I know is they ask for more measurements IN ADDITION to your RX. They guarantee the fit from temple, to bridge of nose, to ears, distance from pupil to glass etc., and they are top notch.

TOXIC

Back