Storage ideas?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Snow

Reaction score
Okay, I have a boat that resembles something along the Targa line, but with almost ZERO storage. SuperGude v-16wt is a pretty darned close looking boat. Beam is only 6'5" whereas the tundra and proguide have a good foot more.

I'm trying to come up with storage ideas. I'm thinking about building plywood boxes, but not sure how to even do that. Would I need 1x1s on the interior to handle the joints? I'm also trying not to use any more weight than I have to. I'm also trying to figure out how to make the lids so they're at least somewhat waterproof. Thoughts, suggestions????

Mike,

Any chance you can post a pic of the current inside layout.

Depending on size & what you are looking to do, I would look at only using wood where you have to. I would look at aluminum & fiberglass alternatives first. Neither one is that hard to learn to do or even find someone to do it. It will be a lot lighter, just as strong if done right, & wont rot.

Just my .02

Dennis

Aren't both options significantly more expensive than wood? If not, then we're back to why boats cost so blamed much :(.

Mike, I had a similar situation with an old boat I had. Actually, it was a runabout, and I cut the front deck off and lowered it about 5 inches. I built a new deck with divided compartments and seperate hatch lids. All of the wood was coated with fiberglass resin, and then covered with carpet. The visible areas received several skim coats of thinned resin, and were then painted to match the boat. The dividers were made from 1/2 plywood, reinforced with 1" strips of wood as needed, as were the deck lids. If I was going to do the same thing today, I would purchase several of the aluminum hatches from Cabelas instead of using plywood.

Back