Stocked Trout

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
Hey guys! The Wookiee is back after a long, cold winter. Well the skis are hung up, and fishing is back into the plan. Tomorrow the local "put and take" trout lakes open in DC and I look to fill my freezer the best I can. I once again turn you you guys for some advice.

The trout we stocked in this particular small pond (2-3 acers) about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ago.

How long does it usualy take farmed rainbows to spread out? Should I concentrate my efforts on the point of stocking, or is it likely that they have moved a bit? I know of some good stucture an a inlet (O2) on the opposate side of the pond, than the point of stocking.

Advice???

Thanks ahead of time guys! ;-)

I tend to not go too far from the stocking point, like near the first deeper hole and fish. Next weekend is the opener here and I always do best with a small spinner(mepps/roostertail) retrieved painfully slow! Good Luck!!

I always do good with a Rainbow or Brown trout colored Floating Rapala, but I burn it thru the water.

I have seen them spread rapidly and slowly, depending on how they are stocked. From personal experience, if they put them in a bucket full at a time, they spread out. If they "pipe them in" with a long hose through an outlet in the the bottom of the stocking truck, they don't spread out as quickly. In lakes similar to what you are looking at, Chartruse, orange, lime or lemon twist our any flourescent Berkley Power Bait for trout (in the little jars) weighted to the bottom is a killer.

Wooley Buggers!
wooleybugger.jpg

Here's what works for me on my local pond stocked with smaller rainbows that are excess from the hatchery. I use 4 lb. line and an ultralight with a small stealth float with a SMALL pink or yellow grub on a 1/32oz. jighead. Let the jig settle all the way down with no extra weight...then slooooooowwwly start workin' it back. Let it setlle every once and awhile to see how they want it. You may have to play with colors but, those are pretty standard for trout. Works for me...I filled a small cooler once and talk about some fantastic grillin' with lemon and butter....mmmmm mmmmmm :)

Back