Stinky Boat!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walter Marcon

Reaction score
Alright, I have a 1997 model Savage 896, it's a great boat and I love it but,,, all the compartments smell like fiberglass resin or gas? Is this normal? the smell is strong, if I keep all the lockers open and close up the garage, man what a reak!!! Can I get rid of it?

Yea, I'll take your boat to rid you of the stench!!! LOL, I had the same kinda smell for about the first year after I bought mine. I used some bildge cleaner, I filled up the hull with water until it came up through the floor drain, dumped almost half the bottle in the bildge then drove the boat on the trailer to the gas station and back (10 miles each way) then drained it in the backyard. I had allot of fiberglass leftovers and a host of other remains from the manufacturing process piled up in drain. I actually had to remove a few pieces that wouldn't fit out the drain. Now I don't have the resin/fiberglass smell, just the oil/fuel smell in the back compartments, but that will never go away.

Eric H.

You think you've got problems....mine smells like Kick 'n Bass Garlic.

:>))

Harpo

Within days of taking delivery of my boat, It had that "new fish smell" ....can't seem to get rid of it.

Make sure you check all the fuel lines and tank vent lines to make sure they are not leaking fuel. I had a vent line on my 170 come loose at the tank. (The hose clamp was loose)

Last thing you want is fuel leaking into the bilge area of the boat.

john F.

I'm not trying to start ANYTHING here guys, but this post reminded me of something. I had the exact same experience as Eric H. with all kinds of "junk" in the bilge and this was on a used Nitro even. Whether it was screws, fiberglass spurs, you name it. With my new Basscat, I got ONE screw that had been dropped in the bilge (and I'm not sure I wasn't the one who dropped it in there). No fiberglass spurs (chunks) from (I'm assuming) when they installed hardware like depthfinders, trolling motors, etc.

I DO have the resin smell in my front compartment though, but I think the Garlic KicknBass has about taken over :).

I didn't really think about the differences until Eric brought it up.

Back