Steering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Read the recent posts on steering issues. I am still "learning" my boat so I too have the feeling of "pulling" while trying to learn my boat. I currently have a PT185 with 90 HP. Aside from "time on the water", is there a prop (3 or 4) blade that would help reduce the pulling? Any help would be appreciated, understand I need to learn my boat and proper trim for the speed I'm running, which by the way I have been able to get to 46 mph., anyone able to get higher speeds with the same rig? Thanks.

Welcome aboard, Pulling when? All the time? Just getting up on plane? A little more information please.

BF

you should have a little fin above the prop that can be adjusted to counter the torque from the prop. i know i did not describe it better but some else can and will beable to do a better job. since i have a yammie its a little different i would think.

mike c

DC, I have a 1999 PT185 with a 90hp. I know what your talking about when it comes to the pulling. You should be able to find a neutral steer postion at around 4500 +/- rpms. You need to just keep playing with your motor trim position and rpm's until you find it. Then adjust your rpms a little higher and adjust the trim until your back to a neutral steer. If you can't find a neutral steer position with higher rpm's, note the rpm's where you can maintain it.

I could never run mine wide open without severe pull no matter how I adjusted the motor trim or the trim tab on the motor. I also tried a 4 blade prop with little improvement.

The way I beat it was to install a NFB (no feed back) steering helm. I no longer get the pull at any RPM or trim level. One of the best additions I made to mine. For what it's worth my motor position on the transom is bolted on from the second hole down from the top.

My top end with a full tank of gas and (2) people is 43-45 mph with a GPS and at 5500 rpm and not one bit of pull with the NFB steering helm.

If you decide to have one installed you will notice that the steering will be stiffer or harder to turn. Hope this may have helped you. Carl

Back