Steering wheel off center.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Fary

Reaction score
Ok, I know it's trivial, but the steering wheel is not straight (off center) on my PT185. It by no means has any effect on the way the boat operates, but I would like for it to be centered. I had the same problem on a previous boat and I remember it was a serious pain to get the steering wheel off to get it realigned. Anyone have any tricks to get the steering wheel off? I can't use a wheel puller because there aren't any bolt holes on the steering wheel like there are on the old (pre-airbag) cars. Isn't a bid deal, just wondering if anyone knew a trick.

Thanks,

Bryan

I had the same thing onmy 189 Sport, Mine came off pretty easy but if it sticks just pull up on it and have someone smack the shaft firmly with a plastic mallet. It should pop off. Of course a puller works well if you have one.

Like JDJ said, I would add leave the nut on the shaft so you don't hit your self in the face when the wheel comes off..............

BF

Bryan

I think you wil lfind that removing the wheel wont work oin that setup. On my buddy's 185 and on my 882 the steering shaft isnt splined, it had one keyway to position the wheel so it will only go on one way. If you want it centered you might have to reposition the cable inside the rotary helm. Its a pain in the butt to say the least. Check the link i put below on the install, it shos how the wheel needs to be positioned before te cable in put in. If its off when runinf that is normal because of the prop torque.
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/library/instructionmanuals/SH5150rev2.pdf

I'm with Jim B. my 2000 Tracker was "off center" from the day I got it, never was able to get it right and I think Tracker told me it wasen't pulling the wheel it was repositioning the cables.

Trade It Quick, New boat always cures that problem...:D JR

I agree with Mr Goff. I chased center on my 901 a number of times. The wheel will usually always be in a different location from idle, slow running, mid-range, or WOT.

RoyC

I just got the boat. Too early to trade! I guess I will have to live with it off center.

Bryan

Mine is straight...when the conditions are right. Change speeds, direction, on plane, off plane...all bets are off.

If you truly want to cure the problem, buy a wheel that has no "top", like:

foamwheel_f.jpg

(uglier than an upside down bass boat wheel, ain't it?)

My Nitro is closer then my Tracker was, but that is because the Dino wheel (sweet one) that Rich put on is somewhat adjustable.

Back