Steering problem??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Hicks

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I bought a new 750 DC w/115 Merc a few months ago and love it. Have had no problems until today.

I had been running between 50 & 55 by speedo for a few minutes when suddenly my steering wheel felt like someone grabbed it and tried to turn it hard to the right. I backed of the gas real quick but stayed on plane at about 30/35 mph. The wheel was still pulling hard right. I nudged the trim a little (in and out)to see if it made a differance which it did not.

After a minute or so I was about to shut down when suddenly the "pull" in wheel quit. From then on everything was normal again. Made several more runs, no problems.

On my way home I stopped by the dealership. They checked it out thoroughly and came up with nothing.

I was curious if any of you have had such an experience and what it may be.

Thanks for any help.

Take care....DH

Hey Dale, how's it going up in Ponca? You must of been out on Kaw, right? Good to see another Okie here.

I'm just guessing here but my first thought was that you ran through some weeds or trash and got it wrapped around your lower unit for awhile then it came off and all was well. Does that seem like what could have happened? If the problem had persisted I would tell you to check your trim tab on the motor just above the prop. Sometimes those things get loose you might want to check it anyway.

Harpo

Do you have the seastar hydraulic steering, on my 882 it went out and that dang thing was harder to steer than the old cable days. The dealer would not fix it but I contacted Seastar my self and they have a different two year warranty not on the Nitro/tracker warranty and replaced the whole unit, come to find it was defective!!! worth checking out!!

Mark- No on hydraulic steering, its R&P.

Soonerfan- Actually I was on the municiple lake here in Ponca. A ramp 2 miles from my driveway makes it handy. You have a point about the trash, hadn't thought about that. I'll keep an eye on it (and both hands on the wheel) for a few days, hopefully it wont repeat.

Thanks for the replys. DH

DH

It doesn't take much to yank on the wheel.I once had a ten inch piece of two by four almost put me over the side of the boat when it turned the boat full left while running wide open.It was still stuck to the lower unit when I tilted it out of the water.

yeah happened to me down in lawton hit some weeds and bout yanked the wheel out my hands and sent me skippin accross the water..lol

I ended up getting a no-feedback helm off of Ebay for $20 for my rack-and-pinion system. Very easy swap out,took about 30 minutes. Now I'm no longer scared to death to take both hands off the wheel to adjust my throttle (no hotfoot).

Back