Starting issue and crack in fiberglass

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Having trouble getting the motor to start lately (Yamaha 150, 2 stroke oil injected). I thought it was a battery issue so I had them checked at the beginning of the year. Bought 3 new Deka (I think) batteries and had the spark plugs replaced. Charged the cranking battery and the first time it started right up. After the boat sat for a week, it would crank like it was trying to start but wouldnt fire. Jumped it from a portable charger and it started right up. Ran it all day and it started fine every time. Let it sit again for a few days and had trouble again with the initial start. Exchanged battery but still having the same issue. Had the battery tested this weekend and its fine. Thought maybe it was the starter. Any suggestions? and if it is the starter, how much do those run to be replaced?

Also noticed a hairline crack forming right across where one of the snaps for the cover was installed (prior owner). It's about two inches in length on either side of the snap. Is this something to be concerned about or should I just fill it with gel coat repair?

Thanks for any opinions!

Teri, are you charging the starting battery in between outings? What size is the battery compared to the recommended size needed for the 150?

The hairline crack isn't structural, just cosmetic, but if it were me, I'd have it fixed ;)

Hey Teri,

Don't you leave your boat in a slip? Do you leave the motor up or down while it's in the slip and in between use? Is it getting gas? Do you smell gas? There is so many things..:eek:

In my old boat, if I left the motor in the up position for a period of time between use it would do what you are explaining. Basically, it was flooding and had somethng to do with the carburater bowls.. If I left the motor down it was fine. It was a pain in the a$$ to do but I used to run the motor out of gas and unplug the gas line. I never had a problem after that.

I doubt if it's it the starter or it wouldn't be cranking.

teri,

are you battery cables in good condition? it sounds like it might not be getting a good ground causing a weak effort to start sometimes. i have this issue with my old tracker and a new cable fixed it. also check to see if you have a slow drawdown, from something staying on even though the master power is off.

mike

Teri....is the motor not turning over as fast after it sits for a week? Or is it turning over well but not firing? If it isn't turning over well after sitting then I suspect there is some small item that is staying on that is slowly draining your battery. Just something to check.

RW

I leave the boat on a lift in a boat slip so its out of the water but outside. I leave the motor all the way down. It turns over but seems like it is just underpowered enough that it won't fire. I dropped it off at the local dealer to take a look. He basically told me he thinks it's an education issue and I don't know how to cold start my boat. Didn't sit well with me really!

I had a 'major' problem with my main battery for the longest of times... 2 things solved it:

1.) Put it on a charger constantly... I added a single bank guest that is dedicated to the starting battery. This eliminates any small drains that might occur (left the main power switch on, etc...)

2.) Found and pulled the 'always on' part of the CD Player... the one that hold the station memory... turns out that was my biggest problem... just enough of a drain to bring the battery down after a week or two.

Otherwise, I'd look at the battery cables and terminals... if you get plenty of juice when you have it hooked to a charger/jump starting, could simply be that your connections aren't solid enough.

I'd also tell that dealer where to stick it! Eductation comes _after_ they determined that there is nothing wrong, not before.

Hey Sim how did you find and pull the 'always on' part of the CD player? Didn't know you could do that.

there is (should be) labels on the wires.... If you pull the wiring harness from the radio, you can do some simple tests with a multimeter to find the hot one... I just pulled the pin from the back of the harness and wrapped it in black tape.... problem solved.

next time I crawl under the dash I'll see if I can find what the label says... but you should see 2 for "+12" and one for ground....

The one your looking for will probably say 'memory' on it.

Got a call from the dealer today. Said they can't duplicate the problem, must be user error.

STUPID FOCKERS! :angry: If I didn't know how to start my boat, how in the heck have I been using it for the past year. The ironic thing is the first guy who told me it was "an education issue" when I brought it in instructed me to push the throttle forward once before starting. The guy that called me to report it started right up for him and questioned how I started it, told me that I should never push the throttle forward before starting. Opposite what the other guy said.

Yes, I love to tow my boat around Nashville and imagine problems that aren't there. I love to see your greasy, dirty, non-grammatical, toothless workers so I make up crap just so I can visit those sexy workhorses again. I am marking off the days on my calendar until I get to pick my boat up and see you and your staff again. Think one of them will marry me so he can start my boat any time I need to. :wub:

Sorry, just venting.....

Teri...

Clearly these folks have no clue... check your connections and make sure (to the best you can) that the battery is fully charged when you go to start it...

Do you have any other options for dealers, or should we arrnage a 'visit' to take care of these folks?

Sim, they've been ok in the past. I was just trying to be funny. Just dealt with different guys this time. They are suppose to be the best Yamaha dealer around. They are not a Triton dealer so I have to go to another place for the boat.

I will check some of the things you guys suggested. You never know what little thing could have changed.

It sure sounds like a battery drain happening from somewhere. My troubleshooting suggestion:

Next time you are done for the day, disconnect any and all wiring from the starting battery. Hook it up again when you next go to fish. If the boat starts easily, you've identified that there is a current drain. Then you can start to examine what that might be.

Yes, I love to tow my boat around Nashville and imagine problems that aren't there. I love to see your greasy, dirty, non-grammatical, toothless workers so I make up crap just so I can visit those sexy workhorses again. I am marking off the days on my calendar until I get to pick my boat up and see you and your staff again. Think one of them will marry me so he can start my boat any time I need to.

:D:D:D:D Sorry for laughing,but that's funny.

I had a similar problem. Battery was goo,fully charged, but had trouble turning over. Had to jump start it most mornings from the trolling battery to get it running.

I noticed once when I went to switch the wires over that they were hot after cranking slowly for a few seconds. The wing nut was hot to the touch.

I took the starter to a local shop and he bench tested it (i believe thats what he called it).

Had the starter rebuilt for $50 and never had a bit of trouble since. Still have that same battery.

Steve

Rich, that's a very good idea. I think I will try that next time I have the boat out.

If it does turn out to be something draining the battery, and the source is elusive, you can have a battery switch installed. A lot of of pleasure boats with more complicated electrial systems, have these, to prevent exactly this problem.

2102-CMYK-02%20copy.jpg

Sorry, had one other thought: Check the zincs on the motor to make sure they look ok and aren't deteriorating. Even though your boat is on a lift, the lift is still in the water. Electrical current can find all kinds of ways to leak out.

Back