Stabil and gas

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad F

Reaction score
Had a local dealer recommend that I continue to add Stabil to each tank of gas for both my outboard and kicker through the season. He stated that the quality of gas these days is often so poor that even a couple weeks of no use can diminish motor performance.

This makes some sense. I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion or if anyone has heard this before?

I've never heard that.. It seems to make sense though I don't know if I can put up with all that smoke year round.

Bill

I was told the same by my dealer service manager and have used Mercury fuel treatment and stabilzer in every tank full of gas for my 175 Optimax for the past two years withouy any problems.I was told gas starts to break down after 72 hours,don't know if that true or not.Maybe someone with knowledge can shed some light for us.

Dave, mine smokes like mad the first time, and sometimes the second time I start it after winter. I assumed that was the stabil in the gas?

Bill

Hey Dave Thanks!!! I will follow your lead Professor:) I also never thought to use stabil on my yard equiptment. I will now however. When I can again that is. Thanks again.

ps. A 540 acre lake in my area would be considered huge...

Bill

Dave, ask Trepper... When I took him out to fish last year he mentioned to this site, I've never fished anywhere where you use the big motor to get off and on the trailer, only.

I'm paraphrasing but you know what he meant:)

I use maybe three tanks full a year:)

Bill

The stabil helps stop the extra alcohol from evaporating from the gas. The new formula they use for gas can go bad in two to three weeks. So if you dont use all of the gas in that period of time, it isn't a bad idea to use the stabil all year round.

Oh Boy!! Gas just got even higher.

I've asked this question before but never got an answer; Is it okay to use a de-carbon treatment such as Seafoam when the gas has Stabil in it?

Harpo

You can actually use Sta-Bil or Seafoam. Seafoam has stabilizers in it along with the cleaners. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hurt to mix then but that would be overkill I would think.

Back