Sponsors and Tournaments

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I was just curious to who uses this board and is sponsored by a company and fishes tournaments. What companies sponsor you and what trails do you fish?

BJ

I have a few local companies that sponser me. They are, empire electric, marks prop shop, st.paul abrasives, bald eagle sports, just to name a few. I fish the american bass anglers, and the fishers of men trails. Also some others. I was the state champion and the points champion for 2003 in the american bass anglers trail.

Mainly the sponsors provide products and/or entry fees. The products aren't always free either!! They require quarterly reports and in some cases you need to move their product or spend time in their stores moving their product. I do not tourney fish (unless charity).

TOXIC

Gamakatsu

SPRO

NITRO

BassPro Shops

LunkerLure

HawgCaller

CastAway Rods

PowerPro

Chevy (maybe)

Gallyans (maybe)

Cool Tox and Wezel!!!

I was just curios because I am kinda new to this stuff. I have been tournament fishing for the last few years and want to fish professionally. I guess you could say I have one sponsor. Its just a local company and the guy who owns it is kinda helping me get on my feet.

Mine are product-only, and not all is free. Mine is sweat-equity type, doing demos, helping out with in-store sales, etc. I see no actual cash or entry fees.

TTI (Tru-Turn, Daiichi, and x-point)

Gambler Industries (Gambler plastics and spinnerbaits)

St. Croix Rods

Nitro

Mercury Outboards

Marine USA, Inc.

The Clean Edge Cleaning Services

Big Daddy's Big Pig Jigs

ChillyBears Custom Embroidery

Bag 'em Products

"Stors' it" Rod Protectors

Wife, Kids and Dog

Due to the birth of our second kid recently, next season I will only fish the following:

The ABA (2 districts)

(used to fish The Federation)

Larger Team Opens

Just click on the "M" next to a user's ID as most have a short bio. in their file. Good Luck and Good Fishing!!

Tox - BPS and Galyans??

Nah.....SPRO is one of my best sponsors and BPS does not carry any of their product. Galyans does. I don't have any problem going wherever a sponsor wants me to to move their product. BPS's "Guides and Outfitters" program isn't that great and let me tell you, it's all about the $$. NITRO boat sales are not connected to the retail side what so ever (as I understand it, there is frequently some conflicts there)so my NITRO sponsorship is not in peril. Hey, if AllStar, GLoomis, St. Croix or Falcon offered me a better deal on my rods than CastAway, I'd have to look at it. I'd be silly not to. Nobody can match GUEST, so that ones in the bag..LOL!! Hmmmmmm....soon to be sponsored by Scales and Tails!!

TOXIC

Mac, you can sponsor me too.... or just send me freebies and I won't tell anyone I know you... your choice :).

BJ, please understand that companies aren't out there for the purpose of just handing over goods and/or services for free. You have to give them something in return that is equal to or greater than the value of the product you receive in return. That something is TIME. My sponsors expect a certain amount of hours each year spent working trade shows, showcasing their products, doing demos, etc.

In return for your time, they compensate you usually with discounted products.

If you're Kevin Van Dam, wearing their shirt and plugging their products in interviews might be enough. For someone like me, it isn't enough.

Trust me,..Kevin works as hard or HARDER at promoting his sponsors and their products than ANYBODY in the business......the single biggest misconception in the entire industry is that the Big Dogs get FREE stuff, just because of who they are......NOBODY gets free stuff! I'm talking about "real sponsorship here" though,...not merely calling a company,..asking for a hat/patches and a few baits,..and then telling everybody you're "sponsored". As Mike mentioned, something is expected in return and for those real sponsorships,..it's always spelled out contractually. NOBODY get's anything for FREE in this industry,...something is ALWAYS expected in return.,..especially if there's any long term relationship that you want to develop with a company. The more you're willing to do for a company and the higher value that can be placed on your services,..the better the "deal" or contract will be.,...but everything comes at a price.

Mac

And don't forget, there are different levels of sponsorship. Some sponsors want you to prove that you can deliver on your end of the deal before they "sweeten the pot". Basic sponsorships are easy but the advanced ones take a lotta work. Also get ready to deal with conflicts...in scheduling, as far as personal appearances and promotions/seminars and between product lines....that gets touchy. Better be able to tap dance like Sammy Davis Jr. when that happens!!

TOXIC

tap dance,....two step,...waltz,...curley shuffle,...ANYTHING EXCEPT BREAK DANCING!!! Bad!!! LOL

Back