Sponserships?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Smith

Reaction score
I only have a few more years left in school and I am thinking about my future and I know I want to pursue something in the bass fishing fiesld wether it be a guide or a Pro on the Bass tour.

I was wondering how do I get my foot in the door and how I should go about it.

T.S.

This is what a friend of mine told me a few years ago.

BJ

Sponsorship in bass fishing is not as lucrative as you might think. Most

companies have entry level sponsorships where the fisherman actually buys

lures at a reduced rate. From there as you advance as a tournament

fishermen so does the sponsorships.

In truth only the top level fishermen like Denny Brauer and Kevin Vandam are

able to make a living off of their sponsorship contracts. The majority of

fishermen receive free product for the time they put in at shows and

seminars.

Sponsorship requires a commitment on the part of the fishermen. All the

fishing companies require their prostaff to work at tackle shows and give

seminars whenever possible. There's a lot of fishermen competing for the

few sponsorships available.

There is several things you can do to increase your chances of gaining

sponsorship. First be clean cut and dress nice. When you are sponsored by

a company you are representing them. Since your image is also the image of

the company it's important to be professional with your actions and dress.

Second fish all the tournaments you can and document your accomplishments.

Third be willing to work for next to nothing to get your foot in the door of

a fishing related company.

If I were you I would fish as many tournaments as I could. Put together a

resume that tells about yourself and about your fishing accomplishments.

Take this resume to a potential sponsor and offer them your time at tackle

show and seminars.

Another important thing to consider since you want to make fishing a career

is college. You go to college to learn public speaking and business skills

that you will use in your fishing career. Take as many public speaking

classes as possible because there is more money in giving seminars than

there is tournaments. All you have to do is look at Jimmy Houston and Bill

Dance to prove this point.

One other tidbit of advice I would like to pass on is be loyal to your

sponsors. Don't pass up an opportunity to better yourself, but you will

advance farther with loyalty than jumping from company to company every time

a new company comes along with a better offer.

Send me an email tell me about yourself, your tournament accomplishments and

your future plans. Maybe we can make Red River Tackle company your first

sponsor.

Shonn Goodwin

Red River Tackle Co.

That is what Shonn sent me and he sums everything up pretty good.

Right now I would focus on completing your education. Red River Tackle is my only sponsor. If I pick up another sponsor between now an graduation it will be because they ask me. I want to be able to build a respectable resume so I haven't really pursued any companies in the last few years. When I graduate highschool and college you better believe I will be looking for sponsorships.

Amother thing I would like to add is be willing to work for them. I build baits for Red River and that is how I help. In return I get paid for that and Red River has their logo on my boat and I have a couple of shirts I wear to tournaments.

One more thing is pick some companies you believe in. Shonn has told me countless times that longetivity is a BIG factor in this sport. Dont jump around (i think he says something in the letter I put up above about this.)

GOOD LUCK!!

BJ Laster

First, you must spell sponsorship correctly. That will help keep your resume out of the trash pile as often.

Second, you don't get anything for "free". You get discounts, maybe even free product, but you EARN it.

I am "sponsored" per se by a manufacturer's rep company. These are the companies that work to get ABC's product into the tackle stores. There are a lot of companies trying to get into the limited floor space available in any retailer.

Of the companies I represent for this manufacturer's rep company, one is VERY good in their sponsorship compensation. ONE. I represent 6 companies for them. One of the companies I represent has a pro-staff program where I can actually go to BPS and buy the product off their shelf cheaper than my discount through the manufacturer. I am NOT complaining by any means. I'm just trying to point out that sponsorships vary and some give you more exposure than "freebies". I'm also just starting, so things may get better, but the companies I represent, I do so proudly because their products are simply in "best of class". There are companies that I have chosen not to represent. The one thing in this world that you have sole control over is your reputation.

One of the extra benefits I get is that I get to participate in industry-sponsored activities (such as the BPS Spring Fishing Classic). I like jacking my jaws about products. I also get to work alongside some of the better local fishermen. I got to chat with a guy who (if memory serves) finished 9th in the Bassmaster Classic last year... THE FREAKING BASSMASTER CLASSIC! Now, he's not a household name, but I was in the presence of someone who's got the talent. You can't put a price on that.

Whatever you do, if you don't believe that "Billy's spinnerbaits" are the best spinnerbaits for the money or best period, don't ask them for a sponsorship. However, if you fish Billy's spinnerbaits and spend YOUR money on them because you believe in them, then approach the company.

For instance, Trilene Big Game is not on my radar, even if they asked me. I don't like that line (a lot of people do, but I don't). I don't fish with it, and short of something like catfishing, I wouldn't even consider spooling it up. Abu Garcia reels is another that I have no interest in. I fish Shimano baitcasters. I'd consider changing brands to Daiwa or Quantum, but Abu doesn't make low-profile baitcasters that I believe in. Next year, they might. Until such time, I have NO business representing that company.

Keep your integrity, and I'll give you one more hint. There is not the kind of markup one might think there is in reels. I checked into Shimano sponsorship, and to be honest, I'd rather pay retail for them and not be indebted to them for the discount they offer. They also require that you use their rods as part of the deal. I am sold on a different brand of rod and cannot in good faith, try to sell their rods.

I've tried very hard not to name names, but have in a few cases to illustrate my point.

Let's go back to reels for a second. As stated, I'm a Shimano guy. I do believe that Daiwa makes a very good product as well. I could have just as easily been a Daiwa guy, and if they knocked on my door (which does NOT happen, by the way) and offered me a sponsorship, I'd go buy one of their reels and determine if it was as good (or better) than a Shimano in the same price range and if so, could accept such a sponsorship. However, I couldn't do that for Bassmaster brand reels.

Always remember, it is NOT what they can do for you, it is what you can do for them. They want you to move product PERIOD. You can win 100 tournaments and not get any "Quality" sponsors if you cannot convince them that you can move their product. You are a salesman plain and simple winning a tournament does not make you a salesman (although the Classic will make them sit up and listen!!LOL). I am a salesman and like Mike said I do not pick up "backyard" bait builders. I'm not tootin my horn here but there is nothing on my resume about winning tournaments and I got one of the best/hardest companys out there (Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits) to sponsor me....why?......because I convinced them that I can move their product. I worked a show at Dick's Sporting Goods and sold them out of Quantum baitcasters in one day....I'm a salesman when I am in their store, not a fisherman!!

TOXIC

Toxic has it right....

Remember it is about sales. If you cannot generate sales and increase profits, they cannot afford to have a pro staff.

Mini

So how do I go about being a salesmen and how do I approach a company say like Diawa or Berkley and say I belive 100% in your product and I know for a fact that I can be an asset to your company in the line of sales?

T.S.

TS,

You have to figure out "how" you can help them move product. With me as a guide, I get a potential customer in my boat everytime I go out. They see what I use, they use what I use, both gear and baits and if they are happy then they will want to reproduce that experience again. How will they do that.......with the same baits and gear they used before. It is up to me to present a professional image and provide a venue to move their product. I have to also prove that I am a good guide, and a good human being (remember, you ARE the company you represent to the public). Speaking experience like clubs, groups, BPS tank work, seminars, etc, helps. Booth work at outdoor shows, and most of all, give them your time when/where they want it. Most all of my sponsors have a number of required appearances included in my contracts. Represent them well and work hard. Let me say this, the business side of fishing is a very distant relatve to getting on the water and fishing.

TOXIC

Back