Spinning reels

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
One thing i plan on picking up at BPS is a new spinning reel. I am trying to learn how to throw more lighter finesse baits.

What is good? I love Shimanos and I have looked into the Okumas.

What do you use?

BJ,

A good cheap reel that I have found is a Team Diawa Regal Z 2500. It's cost is pretty cheap only about $50.00. I have bought 3 of them myself and love every one of them.

T.S.

shimano saharas all the way....

Except for a couple of Okuma Avengers I have, they are fairly sweet as well!

I have a Stradic and couldn't be happier with it. Seems to be a big debate brewing about the Daiwa Capricorn's moving in to unseat the Stradic, but I've never had the chance to use one. The Diawa would be worth a look, but if you went with a Shimano, you'd be happy and never give it a second thought.

Everyone on the board knows how much I like light, finesse baits.....

I'm with Simmie - Shimano Sahara!

The combo I use all the time for light/finesse baits is a Sahara 1000 front drag, 6# clear line and a 5'6" light Bionic Blade. It's available at BPS for $89.98.

The front drag is actually easier to use when you are fighting a fish. Honestly! Believe me, I've tried both and won't buy another rear drag.

Try it, BJ.....

You'll love it!

(And if you don't like this combo, I'll buy it from you for what you paid for it and pay shipping. Seriously.)

You might also think about the Spirex if you like the idea of a bail trigger..... But I prefer the Sahara's instant anti-reverse. I like not having the bail turn back on me when I go to set the hook and being able to take in extremely tiny amounts of line - especially when trout fishing small streams.

The only other change might be an upgrade in rod, but I think you'll be very satisfied with the Bionic Blade - especially for the combo price!

There is a small problem with some of the Sahara's...my dad and I both own two each and bought them on sale at BPS. So far we have both had to return one twice and I have another I think I'm gonna' have to replace. For some odd ball reason they have a sticky spot and won't hardly turn. Returned one...got another and it's doing the same thing:(

I used to have a Stradic and I may be looking to move up on a couple rods....they are truely a nice reel (should be for the price) but, I am terror on spinning outfits because of the walleye and other fishing that I do. And some eyes or say a 25 lb. Sheephead will tear your tackle up:)

But, that's a good thing....ain't it? :)

My favorite senko setup is with a Shimano spinning reel but I also may have to replace it. It works like a champ but for some odd reason every once in a while when I close the bail (always by hand) The line will feed to the spool on the opposite side of the bail as the line guide. This isn't a problen till you go to set the hook (CIII can attest to how I set the hook, I ROCK their world and the 929!!). When you go to set the hook, the line just feeds OFF the spool (makes a real funky sound also, like trying to start your gas weedeater!!LOL). I have checked the bail spring, it is tight and strong, there are no burrs or catches on the bail either. I just can't figure out why it is doing it.

TOXIC

Tee...

I had that happen with three of my saharas when I first switched to them, Shimano promptly replaced them.

Haven't had an issue since those, and that was over 2 years ago.

I've had the AR go out on some Quantum Icons I tried, nothing like having the AR not AR when you set the hook!

I am a big fan of the stradics. I know they arent cheap but they are worth every penny. I like the simplicity, front drag and no trigger. they are also very smooth and super durable. My stradic 2000's have done double duty in both fresh and salt water and still work like new after 5-6 years. If anything will tear up a spinning reel its bluefish and i have caught hundreds on my stradics without a single problem.

In the 20 years I've been using Shimanos I have never had a single problem with any of them.

I do replace the single-paddle Sahara handles with the double-paddle Spirex handles because they balance better during retreives.

BJ, I'll make you yet another offer.....

If you've got a light rod to put it on, I'll ship you one of my Sahara 1000's to try while you're on vacation!

Me!-thanks for the offer the only prob is i am leaving tomorrow.

I did do some research on them. I called a friend of mine in the tourny club who fishes with alot of spinning outfits. He has a couple and loves the reels. I got to look at his a lil earlier. I am goig to pick one up at BPS.

THanks again Me! If for some reason I dont like it when I get it I'll contact you and we can work something out!

BJ

I just bought a Rapala at BPS and have really liked it so far. It was pretty cheap (I think 39.99).

Shimano Sedona 1500, the best reel for the buck out there!!

The new 1500's replace the 1000 and they now come with a spare aluminum spool versus plastic. $49.99 you cannot go wrong, have a proble send it to shimano nine times out of ten they send you a new one!!!

Thank you Mark! I have one and couldn't think of the name it....it IS good bang for the buck. I have the 2000 but, might have to look at that 1500 for 6 lb. test:)

I feel like an out cast, I have three Spider Cast systems and I think they are great. I owned and used Shimanos and others, but these are lighter, just as strong and well balanced.

Okuma Epixor EF 30 or Inspira IS 30. The only reels I will throw.

Sue D.

I bought a Pflueger president this year $60.00 it is by far the smoothest spinning reel i have ever used.....Helped me catch 7 2lb.and up Bronze ones yesterday....

Back