Spinning Reel

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Anyone use the Johnny Morris spinning reel? I need to add another spinning reel. I prefer the Spirex but was thinking about buying a JM instead. Opinions?

Here we go again..... :)

I used spinning reels exclusively for many years, Teri - like almost 40! I have been exclusively Shimano for about the last 20. I now have nothing but Spirex and Sahara models.

Even though I like the trigger on the Spirex, I prefer the Sahara because the bail stops backspinning as soon as the handle stops.

me!

I have tried to be quiet lately and stop bugging this board. I am trying to keep my posts to a minimum. I really just wanted to know if anyone has used the JM spinning reel because I am impressed with the JM baitcaster.

I am off to the state Special Olympics basketball tournament to try to coach my team to another state title. It's going to be a long weekend but full of fun I am sure.

P.S.

I have played with the JLM at the stores and found it to be quite smooth...... But the stores ain't the real world..... And I know my Shimanos have performed flawlessly in the real world!

That is not to say that other brands are not every bit as good..... What it is saying is that I like things to be somewhat consistant.

OR..... You could say..... I get stuck in ruts! :)

Oh..... Almost forgot..... I also know that, if something should break on my Shimano..... I can go to just about any reel shop out there and get parts immediately.

With the JLM, there is only one place to go.....

Teri,..I've used the JLM's for 3 yrs now and the JLM Spinning reels are AWESOME for the price,....10 bearings,..built in their own factory (not as a 3rd party license by another mfgr)...all the same features as the Shimano's that sell for 2x the price. I've never had a problem with any of the JLM spinning reels and I wholeheartedly recommend them....They rock. (I've got several of them,....5-6 Btcstrs and atleast that many spinning reels,..and some old war horses, Quantum E4's and 7's)...Deffinitely give that JLM Spinning reel (either the 10 or 20) a serious consideration.

Mac

Teri, first good luck on the tournament! Second, if you want to go cheaper, try the Daiwa Regal. I have used four of them for three years now and have never had a failure and they are only about 50.00 apiece.

Bill

Teri, I'm a strong believer in the Spirex's (front drag)

Have I believe 5 of them including an ultra lite size, Never had a problem and love the handles on 'em. Last year I tried a Daiwa Laguna and I'll tell you what, it's another one I feel very good about. For bang for the buck, I'd recommend either, and at a price that you could pick up 2 or 3 if you catch a sale price for the price of a JLM spinning reel. (Not knocking any of the other makes/models mentioned here either though,but in my case I think I get "more for less" with those two models.) just my 2 cents- egMike..........p.s.- Almost forgot, good luck in the tournament!

Teri,Mac got me hooked on the JLM and I thank him for it .For the money it can't be beat ! I love it ,Look at the features it offers for the price to make a even comparision you have to look at reels tha cost twice the money.You will love it to .

And don't even think about cutting down your posts or time on this board. We need even more women on the board then we have now.

Gross

I have three johnny morris, they arent bad, but the shimano stradics are the balls. I will sell you the JM's if you want them. But i would still go with the stradics.

Teri, i just bought two of the jmx 4000's Very smooth! Online they are 99.00 in the store they are 129.00 i paid 101.00 each you won't be sorry!!! kb

Jrad, I only need one. If you want to part with one, let me know.

We lost our game tonight by 2 points. Broke my heart to see them lose but the pizza party afterwards made them forget about it. One more game tomorrow.

Teri,

Don't stop "bugging this board"!! If me! can post a million times, so can you!

Advice from Mac is usually good advice. If he says that the JLM reels are good, believe it!

Hope your team ends the weekend on a good note tomorrow!

Bob G.

Usually all Shimano Saharas... then I tried the Okuma Avenger... excellent reel for the money, smoother drag and system then the Sahara, and a bit cheaper...

Now to see how long they hold up...

I still cant bring myself to pay over 50$ for a spinning reel... I have had the stradics in my hand, and I have yet to find anything about them that warrents the extra $$.

Don't know beans about the JLM, but if Mac says so, you can't go wrong...

I bought 3 Shimano Saharas (1 2000 & 2 4000s)

about 4 years ago.I abuse my spinning reels.

I treat them like a Stripe Bass caught during

a tournment.They are still just a smooth as day

one never any problems.I use them every time I

fish.I will never buy anything else!

Teri---Don't pay 2x the cost of a JLM for a stradic!! Buy the JLM and use the other 100bux for 4 cases of Amstel for the Rally!! (Plus the JLM has the front drag too....that is a nice feature)...Don't PAY more...BUY more!!

Party on Wayne!!

Teri, if looking at spinning reels, in the price range of the JLM, then by all means, take Mac's advice, check out the JLM's. My previous post was only stating my own preferences, and didn't really answer your question, which was about the JLM's....my apologies, and sorry to hear about the loss in the game, good luck with today's game though! egMike

Btw the stradic is only 20 bucks more then the jlm reel. Mac you must be thinking of the sustain that costs like 220 bucks and i agree its not worth it for the sustain. I personally own 4 stradics and i wont own any other spinning reel. They are smooth, simple and durable as anything, as jrad said they are "the balls"

You're so right Jim,..my apologies,...I was thinking of the Sustain!!..Those JLM spinning reels are an outstanding buy for @ $90-100 though.....

Mac the JLM reels sure do look nice in the catalog. i just dont think i could ever get myself to try anything but a stradic, i beleive it them that much.

Well my living depends on my equiptment....I have JLM and Pro Qualifier reels and so far I will put them up to the Shimano reels any day.

I do have a few Curados that need some new bearings....I never had to do that with any of my BPS branded reels.

Mini

I also use the BPS stuff, especially since they came back with the lefty baitcaster.

Mini

Mini my expierence with the pro qualifier reels has been completly different from yours. Mine after 2 years were trash. I take good care of my reels and i hardly used them compared to my shimano's and they still got screwed up. After two years the reel seats were loose on all of them, the clutch pawl was worn causing it to not cast, the bearings were shot and the reel was about as smooth as sandpaper, the drag was also smoked. All i ever have to do to my shimano reels other then yearly lube job is spool line and go fish.

The reel seats were a problem with them....i had one get loose. DO you back off your drag when not in use? Lack of use on bearings can be bad too.

Mini

Check out the Pflueger President series. 10 bearings, smooth as silk, and only $59.99 at BPS. I haven't used one yet, but have played with 'em at the reel counter ALOT. I was gonna buy a JLM this spring, but my wife told me I could get 2 Pfleugers instead, if I want!

Craig

Mini i sure do back off on the drag, the problem with mine is the washers were starting so shred up. I re oiled the bearings every couple of weeks like i do my other reels. They didnt go unused in the rod box, i ust didnt use them as much as the shimano's. I had 3 of the pro qualifer and all three seats got loose, the same thing happened to a buddy of mine on 4 of them he owns. when that hapened igave them to my father who took them to his machine shop and repaired them with new rivets. They made the hole in the seat too big for the rivet they were using so it would get loose. He redrilled the seat and installed a correct sized hardened rivet to solve the problem.

Back