Speedometer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Johansen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 1994 190 DC and the speedo quit working. How do these things get a reading? Is there a sensor/sending unit somewhere that I can't find? It worked last year but doesn't now. I'm just looking for info before I have to tear stuff apart and follow cables/lines...

Thank you, in advance!

Steve

OK, so I have done some info searching. I have to look for the tube somewhere on the lower leg, I guess...

Look on the back of the speedometer...there should be a small diameter hose coming off of it. The one on my 96 170TF is a white/cream color. It should run from the speedo down to the back of the boat and come out in the splashwell where the steering cables, fuel line, and other cables come out. The speedo tube should run down to the top of the lower unit, unless it has a pitot tube, in which case, it would be mounted somewhere on the lower transom.

It has probably got a small piece of trash in the tube, keeping it from working. You can try to clean out any obstruction using a small diameter drill bit and turning it by hand (DO NOT USE THE DRILL BIT IN A DRILL TO CLEAN IT OUT). These types of speedometers are notoriously bad for not being very accurate. If, for some reason, you need to rely on a speedometer, get a GPS.

I have also used trimmer line to clean out mine. Actually keep a small piece in the boat for just this reason!

Randy!

Latest posts

Back