Speedometer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Hodel3

Reaction score
Fished the Sacramento Delta for a tournament and the speedometer was working fine, but isn't now. I flushed the motor (150HP Optimax)and got all the grime and crap out of it. Any suggestions as what the potential problem may be?

Thank in Advance.

Your speedo pickup hole on the front of the lower unit is probably plugged.

Run your finger along the front edge of the lower unit, starting at the prop "bullet" and working your way up. You'll feel a small nick in the edge. That's the pickup hole. Shine a flashlight into the hole. You'll probably see either wood, or weeds or mud.

The best way to clear it is to take a VERY small drill bit and - BY HAND - drill into the stuff plugging the hole. Twist the drill bit with your fingers until you feel the resistance give way and the bit suddenly pokes throught he debris.

Take a fish hook (I like to use Slider 1/16 oz weighted hooks), straighten it out, and insert the hook into the hole. Using the barb, clear the rest of the gunk out of the pickup hole.

You'll want to take care that you don't poke a hole in the rubber tube that's used to relay the water pressure from the pickup to the speedometer.

USE A FISH HOOK LIKE MOFISH SAID!!!!!!

You should be able to pick out any wood using the barb.

A drill bit small enough to fit in the hole is just too easy to snap off in the hole.I have a bit snapped off in mine and there is no way to get it out.

Back