Speedo Inop

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Tongay

Reaction score
I bought a 94 170TF and the speedometer is inop..

At high speeds it will move a little,sometimes.

The hose is clear back to the motor,and I removed

the head and checked for water in it(very little).

My last boat(1975)had a thingie that hang below the

transom that the hose whent to.This one hooks to

the motor,Is that right?Any suggestions????

Jim

Mine has a small hole in the nose that sometimes picks up debis and needs a cleaning out. I thinks some people on here use trimmer line etc.... Seems to work for me!

Randy!

If its in the motor (you can check by looking in the front of the nosecone for a small hole above the 'point' about 1-2 inches), lots of times it gets clogged with debri/dirt. Some use as Randy mentioned line trimmer, I use a very small drill bit and with my hand run it backwards in/out to clean it out. Usually need to do this a few times a year, especially when we beach our boats in winter when the lake is drawn down.

In fact I just checked mine as it has not been working lately (I have a GPS on my Fish Finder so never watch it anyway, but the kids like to watch it), and cleaned mine out with the drill bit. You don't want to use a power drill as those small bits can break off if pushed/twisted, so just do it slowly by hand and you'll be fine.

Beach the boat in the winter? Too much ice around here! LOL!

Randy!

Randy - I didn't have a boat growing up in Indianapolis (wasen't fishing then) but down here in the south we fish 12 months a year, some of my best/biggest fish have come Dec - Feb with the cold water being in the upper 40's! Of course its over 90 here today, and water surface temps already into the 80s!

Totally understand. You should see the looks I get each year in January or early February when my buddy and I are pulling our boat through the snow storm heading for Florida!!!!!

Randy!

Thank you all VERY MUCH....

I found the little hole on the nose and I can blow thruogh it,

like it's not connected inside the lower end....

Looks like I'll be pulling the lower end off,when I get time.

Note:My gps does have"ground speed" without having to add the

speed sensor.So I'll be ok for now.

Again THANK YOU ALL !

Jim T.

Boat speedos are sooooo inconsistent and wrong I am thinking of taking mine out completely. gps is the only way to go. Matter of fact I don't know of too many people who have a speedo that actually works.

Back