Speed.....?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
About how fast could I expect the Nitro 1800 to go with the standard 50HP Merc? How about the Nitro 18V with the Standard 90HP Merc? Anybody have any experience with these combos?????

Not to be a problem child but, I know when I have a long 45-60 mile run during a tournament I dont want to be going 35mph. It all depends on what you are doing. If you are just a everday fisherman I would agree that speed should not matter. Unless you want to beat the rain across the lake. But that is just my opinion and you know what they are like............

Have a good one

Chris

Just a guess.....

30 - 32 with the 50 hp.

40 - 42 with the 90 hp.

Having power isnt just about speed. It also helps get the boat on plane, carry a load and helps in rough water. Its also nice to know its there when you have to outrun a lightning storm. Having a boat that is underpowered it wont plane worth beans and can be a death sentence in rough water because you cant stay on top of the waves and keep the bow up. im not saying every boat needs to have a 250hp motor, its getting the right power for whatever hull it is. for instance a tracker proteam 185 will run worlds better with a 90 then it will with a 50 in every aspect, much like my nx 882 will run much better with a 150 then it does with a 115.

Tracker and nitro have estimated top speeds on the website with every motor combo. Take that speed and subtract a few mph and you will be close to what it will really do.

I aggre 100% with Jim. Tracker packages their boats with the minimum HP to move the boat along, this does not mean however that a 175 with 25hp will plane off. Or a 185 with 50 hp. You do not need to max the hp out on a bass boat glass or alum. to achieve good excelent performance but I would at least purchase 80% of the max. hp rating any boat your looking at. Just because you have 90 on the back of a 185 does not mean you have to run WOT all the time, but the extra hp will get you on plane better in any weather/water situation. It will also be much better for the motor as with a smaller motor you may tend to run WOT all time to achieve acceptable cruising speed as with the 90 on 185 you may only run 3/4 throttle, ( better for the motor ).

What? You mean I've been runnin' mine hammer down and didn't have to? Hehe...throttle down and go!

TEE

It's not hell bent on more speed. Like Jim said, the boat will perform better if you have the right amount of HP behind it. You can plane faster, or if you see a wave coming and need to jump it vs spike it, the HP will allow you too. Or say you are out on the lake and see a thunderstorm coming and don't really want to wait it out on some shore, you can gun it home. OR for the tourney angler....

It's 6:00 am and you are boat # 134 out of launch making a 70+ mile run to the hot spot that will win the tourney but 2 other boats know about it and left before you. However, you can run a good 8 mph faster than they can and so beat them there.....or by having that much speed, you gain an extra 15 minutes of fishing time in the day. Can be the difference between winning and losing.

I just like going fast when the conditions allow!!!

Bob G.

all the speed i need is to keep me ahead of the summer thunderstorms, since my truck gets better milage than my boat i rarely run more that 10 miles total in a day, but when you need horsepower and it isnt there then you realize you should have bought a bigger motor.

mike

You can run a 90 all day long @ 5500 RPM's...my setup runs 45 MPH @ WOT and 5400 RPM's.

TEE

Back