Spark Plugs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I havent been able to find the spark plugs for my merc at an auto store. I need a new set for a tourny coming up soon. I'm going to go and pick up some at BPS or another Merc dealer tomorrow or Wednesday.

Do they come preset? will I need to set the gap when i get them?

(this is my dad's question actually...i've never heard of having to set the gap with a spark plug..i thought u bought them and they were ready to go)

BJ

I can't speak for boats yet, as I haven't had to mess with my spark plugs. However, I do know that sometimes you have to set the gap on spark plugs for cars. I would suggest finding out from a dealer what the gap should be and then go to an auto parts store, like Auto zone, and purchasing a gap measuring device. It'll look a lot like a chinese throwing star. They should cost more than a couple of bucks and they have multiple gap settings on them. Take your new spark plugs and set them according to the manufacturers recomendations using your new tool. Then you're set to go. I hope I've been able to help at least a little. Waylon

If you buy Marine spark plugs you do not have to gap them, because they have a flat tip. The flat tip keeps them from fouling out with the gas and oil mixture you use in outboard motors.

JD

Boy..... Have I reset the gaps on spark plugs.....

Wanna borrow a set of feeler gauges! :lol:

Actually, it seems that the factories are now managing to somehow set the gaps and then ship them without having it knocked out. I don't know whether it's the packaging or the material they're made of or what..... But "No" you don't have to gap plugs these days! I am so glad that I don't have to do it any more! :)

me!

On the air cleaner of my Merc it had the correct plug gap listed. I had to order my plugs from advanced auto. It took 2 days. I checked them and all 6 were very close to .040 but check them anyways to be sure.

Gene

I forgot to tell you that you can get marine plugs at most boat dealers

JD

Back