SOS Pads

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Lang

Reaction score
Will SOS pads really make my rig shine. I have used steel wool and aluminum polish and it looked like a mirror. It seems SOS should work. I think they have strands of metal in them. I am also looking to try sharkhide but is it expensive at 48.00 quart delivered.

I have heard that it will make it shine like a mirror but I never have done it myself. I used a buffer with some aluminum polish and got sore sholders and so-so results. We use Scotchbrite pads on a random orbital sander to polish solid-surface countertops...ought to work just as well on aluminum. Of course once it's polished it needs to be sealed to keep it from oxidizing again. That's where the Sharkhide comes in. That's Tee's department.

Or you could just go fishin'.

Harpo

Dylan let me know how the steel wool/SOS pads work. I need to buff up my rig b4 i sell it this fall. Maybe i could get a few more $$ for it that way.

Dylan, I have used SOS or Brillo pads on all of my aluminum boats in the past. It realy makes them shine, but I would clean up every time I got home from the lake. One word of caution, watch the rivets when scrubbing. They will tear a chunk out of your finger if you are not careful.

Dylan,I swear by SOS pads to clean my rig.Brillo seems a little too abrasive.Just use plenty of water and fresh pads often.The more elbow grease you put into it,the more it will shine.After you finish,throw on a coat of quality wax,take the $40.00 that you saved,buy a keg of Bud and sit back and look at your reflection in the side of the boat.

I once paid $25.00 for a tube of cleaner(flitz),and SOS works every bit as good.

Steve

It'll work...but, polishing afterwords is even better. Just take a look in my library and see what a little work and Sharkhide will do. Great stuff and wipes down just like glass..go to Sharkhide .com..I believe the site is back up. If you need any info on application just e-mail me:)

TEE

If aluminum is not treated it will oxidize regardless.

Use 3M polish or get the cheaper and just as good BPS metal polish at your local BPS :)

TEE

Back