So would you do it?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Gander Mountain calls me up and asked me to do a little fishing promo deal for them. Every year this time in Plattsburgh we have what's call the Mayor's Cup. It's a huge sailboat race out on Lake Champlain that draws boats and competitors from all over the world. And it's a week long series of events downtown with outdoor bands, a parade, movies on a huge projection screen outside on the city waterfront, etc, etc. And it ends with the race.

The mayor was a big advocate for bringing the large tourneys to Plattsburgh since it has such an impact on the local economy and so he and Gander want me to come down to the Mayor's Cup festivities and speak on bass fishing, the lake, and tourney fishing. OK, fine, I'm all for that. BUT, they also wanted me to bring my boat AND park on the steps of City hall and leave it there overnight for the weekend.........NOT! Unless they can put a patrol car out front the whole night and are willing to pay any damages that people might do to it in the crowd.

So now, they're trying to get a boat from a Marina in Vermont and I will just speak down there. Sorry, but unless it was a sponsor boat that I hadn't paid for, and I could get gear replaced super easy, I would not try that. Can you say stolen SS prop, trolling motor, spare tire, or vandalism???? LOL :unsure:

I wouldnt do it either unless there was a guard or they were willing to pay for any damages that my happen.

Jaws

I would because I need something like that on my resume. Do you have one of those things that goes over the lower unit to protect the prop? Take all your electronics off during the night and lock all of your compartments.

BJ

I have a S&T baot you can use. I would have no problem doing that. Empty the boat, remove the prop and park away!

I'm with BJ. Take the pricey stuff off and insist on a police patrol. Do you have a MinnKota? If so then good luck getting that off the deck. Motorguides are a little easier. Maybe the city will pay for an insurance rider for just the day. BPS has their boats sitting out front 24/7.

Harpo

I wouldn't want the kids crawling all over it like they do at BPS.

Hey, shouldn't you be on the phone with lawyers right now and liquidating your assets to move to offshore accounts????

What is the chance of something getting stolen off the steps of City Hall?? Just how dangerous

is Plattsburgh?

Bill

It's not dangerous Bill. But it is a college town and is a CITY. Downtown is where all the bars are and under the influence of 15 or so beers, people's inhibitions at 2:00am are a little looser than normal. I wouldn't be surprised if some drunk jumps up in the boat and starts goofing around or even pukes in it. There's going to be hundreds of people around it until all hours of the night and into the wee hours of the morning.....not MY boat!

The festivities of this Mayors Cup wont be at night will they? Dont you have a cover you could put on it when the crowd settles down and you go home?

BJ

Yes the events last late into the night. I do have a cover, but that's just one more thing to come up missing.

i would simply do it because i need something like that on my resume....but if its that big of a worry to you dont do it.

if it was me, whenever i left i would take the electronics off, lock everything and then cover it.

BJ

Hey Rob,

Is there any way you could stay with it? Do you have access to a small camper or enclosed pick-up or something? It would be a good thing for you if you didn;t have to worry about the boat so much wouldn't it?

Bill

I'm not staying downtown overnight to watch my boat dude! There is no bathroom where I would be, and that is just too much hassle. I would tow it down, but then tow it back home. Why they don't want me to do that is beyond me. Let them put the other boat there. Then they can do what they like. It would be different if I was being paid for this, but I'm just trying to promote the sport and get kids interested in fishing. I won't do that at the expense of my own ability to be on the water and earn a living.

Back