Small Crack in Gelcoat

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for so many questions lately, but here is another that has me a little concerned.

On my new to me Ranger I have a small about 1" crack/scratch in the gelcoat, allong the gunnel. I have noticed that an area about the size of a baseball has a cloudy look to the gelcoat around the scratch. Is this being caused by moisture getting in behind the gelcoat? Is this something I should be very concerned with? Can I just cover the scratch up with a touchup/filler material?

My concern is I would not want the cloudy look to keep on spreading.

CJL

The boat is ruined... bring it to me for disposal!

How deep is the scratch?

Most likely, the "baseball size discoloration" was caused by the object that caused the scratch.

If it's only a scratch... it shouldnt cause any extra issues... buffing compound/wet sanding and then waxing should take care of it.

If the bigger spot is oxidation... same procedure to help it as well.

Sim,

so you don't think it will spread? If not, then I will let it be, she's gonna get scars on her anyway, just concerned that if humidity or something gets in there it may spread the cloudy look? Maybe I can use clear nail polish? I think I saw once JDJ talking about home glass repair once. Maybe this applies. It's on the Metal flake part of the gunnel.

I do not believe the scratch is the source for the other discoloration... more likely what you hit to cause the scratch caused it initially.

Trust me, I got lots of scratches.

That being said... if its truly a "crack", then I'm not so sure.

I have used nail polish to "seal" some deeper scratches until I get time to work on them... just for safety sake.

I have had Gel Coat "gouges" or "chips" that I have repaired using the Gel Coat kit.. but these were on solid color portions... not hard to do at all.

Like i said, it really depends on the damage itself... can you take a photo and post it?

Thanks Sim,

I will take a photo this ASAP and re-post the question. I think I now get what you are saying on the dis-color being caused at the time of impact.

CJL:)

You guys talkin' bout all this crackin' glass is scarin' me...what do the cracks look like on aliminum?:p

Sorry couldn't resist guys:lol: especially our new "dark side" man...CJ;)

Tee...

Cracks in Aluminum are easy to spot... it's where the water is rushing into the boat!

That cloudy area could also be from where the prior owner tried to fix the scratch? its really easy to haze gellcoat if you dont use the right compounds.

Lol at Sim.....so true. :lol:

Jim B...

What compounds do you use/suggest? I'm at teh point that I have enough scratches that I want to take care of them... I've got differening levels of the Mequires stuff....(all boat version, none of the car stuff)... and an electic buffer.

Probably need to do a grab bag article on this.

Tee...

That's because they sink! Hard to find them at the bottom of the lake!

Sim I have used the Mequires stuff too its good. Ive only used the mild one on a boat though. Is your buffer an orbital one or a standard buffer? I hazed up the gellcoat on my fathers old boat pretty bad using the orbital one on it. I was trying to remove some oxidation and made it worse:angry:. I ended up having to wet sand it and use the Mequires light compound and my non orbital buffer to bring it back to normal. I learned not to use the random orbit on my boat or car after that.

Im thinking what the guy may have done was just used some standard rubbing compound( you know the dupont stuff inthe green can) rubbed in a circle to try to remove the scratch, a friend of mine hazed the crap out his boat trying that.

Lol at Sim again...

Tee, a guy in my club had a nice crack in the bottom of his G3 its about 18" long. He has to remove the whole deck and all the foam so it can be welded up. The killer is the boat has never seen rough water because he is aftrid the boat cant handle it.

I've heard stories like that but, luckily have never seen it myself;)

BTW...mines seen some pretty rough water but, unless it's over 2 ft. chop...it's WOT:lol:

CJL... I use the K&B Clean and Shine when I do my quick wipedowns at the ramp... pretty much the same idea as the "bass boat saver", but it's not aerosol and it came out first.

Jim... I got the buffer at sears a couple of years back.. have yet to crack the seal on it!

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00910723000&subcat=Buffers+%26+Polishers

I've always worried about making a scratch "more than just a scratch", so I have let most of them "go", but it's time for me to do something about them... that, and with gas prices, I want as little "drag" or water resistance as possible!!!!

CJL i dont use the bassboatsaver stuff. I use mothers carnuba on my boat and detail spray after i pull he boat out to get rid of the scumline.

is it in the metalflake or a solid gel if it is in metalflake I can tell you how to fix it like new

JD

JD,

I knew it was either you "JD" or "JDJ". Yes it is in the metalflake part of the topcap/gunnel.

It does not appear to be anydeeper than the gelcoat, it's almost like a cut or split rather than a scratch. What was concrening me was the cloudy appearance around the scratch, will it grow was my original question.

Any helpful hints are appreciated.

Thanks

Back