Small boat suggestions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
A buddy of mine is looking at small, two man, pond-style boats, or possibly a jon boat. He's on a tight budget, but wants to be able to fish ponds, rivers and protected water. I've tried to expose him to as many new and used models that I'm aware of, but having never owned a job boat or a two man small bass rig, I can't offer the pros and cons of each.

Any comments from those of you who have owned or used small rigs in small water, comments appreciated.

See the swap & sell board. I just posted a boat and trailer for $900. Might be what he is looking for.

SteveFinMD

Rich - I have a small 12 foot Water Tender (similar to more modern Bass Tenders). Great little boats and easy to maneuver. Perfect for ponds, reservoirs and electric-only lakes. In fact, I'm going to be out in mine on Monday fishing the Occoquan. Most will take a 9.9hp or 15hp and can actually get on plane with that type of engine. Hard to go wrong with these little plastic runabouts.

JC

Tight budget means probably $1000 to $1500 with electric power to start, maybe a gas motor down the road.

Thanks for the comments. Steve, I will pass along the info, but the distance will probably be too much.

Rich,

I have 2 small boats I use for fishing besides my Tracker.

A 10 ft john boat, it's nice for going out fishing by myself on small ponds and I can move it around by myself in & out of my truck.

I also use a lightweight 12 ft semi-V. Its good for 2 people with a motor,& safer, more stable, especially in a river, than a john boat.

Mike

I fish out of a 12' canoe and use a 36lb Minn Kota to move me around. Added a Garmin 160 from the TV-18.

Can probably find a good used canoe for ~ $300 and then add the extras for under $1K!

I have a Bass Hunter 2 man pvc boat that has logged more hours than my big boat!! Mine is only 9 ft., so me and someone who is small are ok. My only complaints are that it is almost impossible to stand and fish in due to the seats and gear, not because it is wobbly. And, it get's tossed by the wind pretty good. I have a 46lb minkota on it and go all day trolling. I really do like the boat. I've been thinking about selling mine and upgrading but just have not got around to it, I use it too much!!LOL!! Those little boats are tough!! I've pulled mine across ice to get to open water.

TOXIC

Rich,

I would recommend a small 12' V hull. He should be able to pick one up used pretty cheap and they last forever. We still use one that belonged to my grandfather. Light enough that one man can drag it around and slide it in and out of a truck, but it still allows you to customize it with clamp on seats, or mount a depthfinder. It will work great with an electric transom motor, and he can always drop a 10 or 20hp on it in the future. I have fished (never owned) on the little bass hunters and they are good little pond boats, but a little 12, will open up his options to slightly bigger waters.

Rich D

Back