Skeg replacement

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Brone

Reaction score
Has anyone had their skeg replaced or done it themselves? How much would I expect to pay for something like that?

Jim, I have had a skeg replaced. Cost me fifty bucks, about 3 yrs. ago. I knocked mine off backing into my driveway, bringing my boat home for the first time . It was late, and I did not check for clearence on my sloping driveway. I had no problems with it,and it looked good, when I sold the motor 8 months ago. Good Luck @ God Bless!

Bubby

Jim,

Price is equivelant to amount of damage, most times skeg work is on a time and material basis. I do marine welding & fabrication for a living, here in Maryland the average shop rate is $80.00 an hour. be sure to have a quality marine shop do the work, not just some fly by night from the back of his truck. Also if the damage is extensive enough you will have to remove the lower unit from the motor to remove the gear assembly & seals to avoid seize-up and burning gearcase seals. if only minor damage you can leave it together. If need be you can purchase entire skeg replacements from most manufacturers.

Bob

Jim, I paid $100 for mine. That was removed, sent to the shop, repainted and reinstalled. I had my fiberglass guy do the painting because most of the prop shops just paint the skeg without primer. That paint has a tendancy to burn or wear off quickly from what I've read. I called Merc and they bake their finish on at the factory, so in order to get a TRUE factory finish, you're looking at a bake job (and removing seals obviously). On mine, I can't tell it was damaged.

$125 for mine.... they just sprayed it black... fine for me... the factory paint just wore off any way...

Back