Skeeter and Yamaha

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I thought that when you bought a skeeter boat you had to go with a Yamaha outboard. I thought it was like Nitro in that you can't put a Yammie or Evinrude on a nitro. i was watching some re-runs of the 03 classic and saw skeeters with Mercs on them??? Did Skeeter change that? I know Yamaha owns skeeter.....

Skeeters policy is like Rangers,..you can get anything you want on it,..but I think the Yammies are factory installed and if you want a 'Rude or a Merc, it has to be dealer installed. Ranger, on the other hand, will put anything on at the factory,.....it's the customers choice. Tracker/Nitro deals exclusively with Merc (Mercs largest customer), and any new Tracker/Nitro product is only available with a Merc. Merc's rock though....awesome motors!!

cool. I was just curious, I have always seen newer skeeters with Yammies on them. When I saw the merc on the Skeeter I thought it was odd because I thought their policy was like Nitro and that you could only get the Yammie.

I thought the same thing. Skeeter is owned by Yamaha and i thought thats all they ame with. I personally have never seen one with anything but a Yamaha.

I would prefer my merc over a yamaha anyday.

I think that was a special arrangement for the Classic event. Tritons and Skeeters were rigged with both Mercury and Yamaha motors.

I have been told you can order a Skeeter with a Mercury. Of course you will be proded hard in the yamaha direction, and the fact that most skeeter dealers only deal with yamaha.

We've got a guy in our club that runs a Ranger with a Yamaha 225 on it. After the past 18 months, he has soured on Yamaha. Though under warranty, and at no additional cost to him, his engine has 'blown up' 4 times in the past 18 months. This includes having a completely new engine put in twice.

He said each time, that he went through the complete break in procedure, to make sure it was treated right. He said this time (having a new engine put on again), he said he is just going to drive it.

Tex

Tox,

This is someone who does not abuse his boat in any way, and takes very good care of his 'toys'. They offered him another motor in November, after the last fix only lasted a short time.

As it stands, he is planning on a new boat sometime this year. Not sure where he is leaning as yet, but it will either be a Evinrude or Mercury. Lot's of Merc's in the club, that seem to all run pretty well.

Tex

Further entries on the thread postponed until after January 20th so that BJ can legally read them.....

Nope,...never been to TX at all......butt we have a place like that here..."Crystal Bay" in the Detroit River,..it's on the Canadian side where "toplessness" is legal!! On a hot summer weekend it's like a "Girls Gone Wild" video shoot in there!! Tee-Eye-double-Tizzle" galore!! LOL

Canada just rocks!! Best fishin'...best beer,..best laws!!

Back