SIlverado/SIerra

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Feist

Reaction score
Yes, Mac is right... I'm looking at a new GM truck. Is anyone running or know of anyone that has a Silverado/Sierra 2500 with an 8' bed/6.0L engine? One of the dealers near me has a 2004 leftover and I'm going to go and see what the price is like on Monday. My only concern is whether I will be able to afford gasoline? The dealer says 14-15MPG. I had hoped for 16-18MPG but if the price is right, I mat be swayed. If it's like that without at trailer, what kind of MPG will I get towing a travel trailer that weighs anout 4500#?

Mac, thanks again for your help.

Brian, your dealer is being pretty honest withyou on mileage. Is it a 2wd or 4wd? Either way, based on what I know about the Cebbies, probably looking at 10-11 mpg puling 4500#. Of course it all depends on terrain. West Texas 11, East Tennessee 9. Hope this helps and Happy Holidays.

BruceM

I have a 1500HD (crew cab on the 2500 chassis) with the 6.0L, 3.73 gears and a 6.5' box. My truck is about the same length as an extended cab/long box truck and weighs 6000 lbs and I get anywhere from 11mpg to 17mpg. I don't usually check my mileage when towing because my foot is usually in the pedal a lot.

Do not buy a 2500 truck with 6.0L motor if you want good fuel mileage, buy it if you want a kick a$$ truck that will tow any bass boat.

If you do a cost comparison for the difference of 2 mpg (14mpg vs 16mpg) for 20,000 miles per year at $2/gallon of gas, the difference is about $357 ($2857 vs $2500).

Drive it like ya stole it!!

Bob G.

Bob G is right. I have a 2004 2500HD with the 6.0 and 4.10 rear. It is the LT and has leather, heated seats, On-Star, XM, and the regular bed. Towing the 929 I get 11 mpg. Without 12-13. That might get better with age, I have 10k on her right now. Do I like the truck?........Without a doubt the best riding truck I have ever been in and that is HD and the off road package with 4X4. Mac can talk first hand, he drove it in MI. Great truck but you definatly don't buy one for the mpg. Personally the difference in mpg vs towing power didn't sway me cause I make some long pulls and I want/need the power. I am 100% happy.

TOXIC

I've got a 2002 version of Tox's/Bob's truck and ditto both he and Bob's comments. Adding a K&N intake and filter with a Gibson exhaust took me up to 14+ hwy towing and 16-17 hwy without. I tried the Hypertech III for a while and saw a performance gain, however mpg's were almost unaffected. (Maybe 1 mpg?) She recently turned 38K mi. and is just now feeling broke in. I'm thinking about an '05, but it'll have a "tough row to hoe" to beat the one I'm in now. Zero problems and very dependable. Good luck and enjoy!!

Merry Christmas!
2002 Silverado HD2.jpg

Don't forget,...my offer still stands for the discounts!!

Anybody who wants to save a bunch...email me. I just got one of Toxic's buddy's a discount and he'll save a few grand on top of all the other incentives going right now!!

Take it where you can get it....

Mac

I have a 2003 Silverado with the 5.3L it will pull my 205F/S with no problems. I can get 17 - 18 mpg highway, empty that is.

I have had 3 of those exact trucks....2002, 2003, and now a 2004.

You can get 15 mpg towing, and 18-20 not towing by installing a chip, otherwise, Tox is right.

www.hypertech.com

Thanks for all of the info.

The vehicle is an extended cab 4WD with the 8' bed and has just about all of the "bells & whistles" that I want plus a few that I'll never need (like the snow plow prep package). Yes the terrain here in PA is pretty mountainous and will affect my milage. My brother and a few of the guys that go to our hunting camp have the 1500's with the 5.3 and do 17-18MPG. They all love their trucks and going to camp has let me compare GM to Ford and even Dodge a few years ago. While they are all nice trucks the ride and "quiet" of the GM was quite evident.

Does anyone have any idea what a Hypertech chip will cost me and does it do anything to the warranty?

Merry Christmas to all...

Brian

Doesn't affect the warranty....it simply plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash. It can be removed at anytime, and programmed to fit your driving needs.

I believe they are around 300 bux....I get mine at cost so I don't know what the retail price is.

I had the Chevy 6.0 2500HD extcab. I can confirm the numbers 14 unloaded 10-11 towing the boat. The gas costs were just eating me up towing every weekend. I traded it in on a duramax cc. 2500HD 6.0l will have the 4.10 gears, the 2500 will have the 3.73 gears like the 1500HD. For mileage and bass boat towing i'd be looking at the 3.73 rear end.

Brian, there are GM Card points that expire on Jan 1 or Jan 3 (I forget). They bumped mine up to 2000, which I have no ability to use (just got a new truck). If you have a friend with a GM card, they can add you to it and you can use the points. If you were in Dallas, you could use mine. $2000 is $2000 no matter how you look at it. Heck, if all else fails and you just can't find anyone else, I might be persuaded to help anyway. But it has to be a new vehicle AND you've gotta pull the trigger quickly.

Back