She's Baaaaaack!!

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~l
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Well lookie, lookie who finally made it back to my driveway.....and in good shape I might add. Now I just need to get that new tranny broke in so I can do some towing. Man-o-man these new trucks will spoil you rotten!! More gizmo's than I'll ever use. I am thinking about activating the XM radio, probably will do it before any long trips. Right now I'm ordering a bunch of stuff from a detailing website and first will be doing a claybar treatment this weekend along with some Klasse All in One sealant, then Klasse glaze, then synthethic wax and then some Brazilian Carnuba. Anybody wanna help?!!LOL! Gotta do it for a black truck. The inside is already done with Meguires leather treatment and Mothers Back-to-Black on the vinyl. Picked up some new microfiber towels to make sure the scratches never appear!! Oh yeah, I'll detail under the hood and in the fenderwells with 303 and will use a good dressing on the tires. I'm already tired...haha!

TOXIC
IMG0086.jpg

Man,that black sure does look nice!!!!!!

But it is alot of work to keep it looking like that.

Nice truck, just keep it together this time. I will keep my opinion to myself on Chevy. :)

Dealer let me drive it out with a recall that was issued the same day and as a result, it puked the tranny 4 hours from home. First replacement tranny got damaged in shipping, second tranny went in ok, so they (chevy dealer) flatbedded it back here (my chevy dealer) then when the Service Manager went to drive it, it threw a code for the airbag system. Since these are unique to each truck, they couldn't pull a module from a truck on the lot and had to order another from the factory. Been driving a new Yukon as a loaner.

Me either Teri but a deal is a deal, and a good one at that!! We'll see.

TOXIC

Tox, don't bother with Klasse, try Zaino Bros. or Griot's Garage stuff!!! I'm a Zaino Bros fan myself....

Bruce, I've actually been tossing those around in my head. Zaino is good and you can put on many coats but why not Klasse, I like the AIO and the swirl remover.....I have not used it yet though....

TOXIC

Have you all seen the commercial (State Farm Insurance, I think) where the the guy brings the new Suburban home. He tells his wife he going to get a special rag just to keep it clean.

I KNOW THAT GUY!!

Harpo

I would be very interested if anyone would like to give details on how to keep black paint looking good (besides washing it). Details, instructions and products would great.

Teri,

Not possible!!! My last truck was black and was totally killer looking when it was clean, but it would never stay that way for very long. Especially when the pollen came off of the trees! That's why my current truck is pewter!

Bob G.

Must feel great Tox...I have to drop my Titan off at the dealer for what is going to be a recall. Nissan was the first to offer a factory spray in bed liner. Well they messed up the mixture and my as well as many other bed liners are coming undone from the metal underneath. I am actually getting a new bed..all of it! They do not have a field fix for the bedliner yet and this is their immediate fix for folks that have been waiting. Gotta give Nissan credit for taking care of the customer though!

As for keeping a black vehicle looking good...this is my thrid black vehicle. It is tough...most important thing is keep it waxed often. It will still get dirty but the wax makes it easier to clean in between. Use as Tox said micro fibre rags to avoid scratches. And the best advice...use two buckets when cleaning...one for the dirty water and one for clean. That way you are not sanding your paint while washing with dirty water!

Well then, if ya gots no trees, crud or mud....then keeping a black vehicle clean should be no problem!!!

Bob G.
Ram2.jpg

I vote for either ZAINO or the new Mequiars NXT. I have detailed vehicles for 15 years (had my own shop for a few years).

I tried Klasse before. I like the AIO, but the SG is VERY hard to remove. You MUST apply in VERY VERY VERY thin coats. My first time I thought I NEVER would get it all off. It took me a while to get the hang of it.

The NXT is good (just put it on my new Tacoma). It is a polymer as well. I also like the fact that it is readily available unlike ZAINO, KLASSE, etc.

I use Claymagic claybar ($9.99 at Autozone). I have used many diff bars. The Mothers and Meguiars that are commonly available are junk as far as I am concerned. The Pro line of Mequiars clay avalable at body shops is much better, but at nearly $20 for 4 oz. bar is too expensive. The Claymagic is the best bargain on the market.

MF towels are great as well. I have about 40 or so and love them. www.neatitems.com has good quality ones. Secret here is in washing them. DO NOT wash them with fabric softener. I usually hand wash mine with Blue Dawn in the sink and let them airdry. If you use your clothes drier, you will have a lot of static electricity.

Good luck.

Black looks good even on older vehicles..Especially old Chevy's that won't die...They just go faster:)

TEE
DSC00084.JPG

Good job on the truck TEE...like I expected any different. Bob, you just can't beat a black vehicle clean and nice. I consider detailing kind of a second hobby so I don't mind.

Fatrap, it is Blackshirt Black!!

Teri, you want to blow your mind? Go here and read up, better yet go look at some of the pics and then ask how to keep a black vehicle looking good, not only is it possible, it is the holy grail for these folks. They take detailing to a whole new level!!

TOXIC
http://www.Autopia.org

Hey Tox....You heard anybody that's tried the new Reflections by Turtle Wax? Supposed to be good....

TEE

Do a search for "Race Glaze"... It's just a polish but geeezzz what a shine and very easy to put on and take off WITHOUT swirls.

That's what I used on my 56 Chevy and used to get it from the Classic Chevy Club in Palatka (sp) Florida. That is now defunct but I did find it on-line somewhere. Great stuff.

Bill

for the money...I'll give the Turtle a try and let y'all know how it does on the black beast:)

New kid on the block is Wolfgang. Supposed to be Excellent!! Easy on easy off. I have always done the Mothers or Meguire's 3 step methods but now I am ready to move up to some more "professional" products.

TOXIC

TOXIC:

Blackfire is also pretty good. You've got a good plan except for the Carnuaba wax. Depending on where you live, the carnuaba wax will degrade as surface temp gets higher. With a black vehicle, this won't take much.

Go with a good Polymer. Sweet thing with these is that you can layer and add protection as long as you dont wait too long between coats. I caly at least once a year. You can clay without removing a finish.

Before you start wash with BLUE original DAWN dish soap. This will not harm your paint, but will remove any waxes, oils, etc from the paint and allow better adhesion of the product. Rewash after claying and after polishing before applying ZAINO or whatever you choose to use. As far as claying here is a piece of advice. Don't use the spray lube included with them. Take a spray bottle and put 1-2 capfuls of car wash soap in it and fill with water. Shake and use. It lubes better than the spray lube. Before and after take a baggy and put your fingers in it and lightly rub your paint. You will be able to tell a HUGE difference, even new. These vehicles get a lot of rail and brake dust imbedded in the paint during transit.

If you go with ZAINO, I would use their car wash and detail spray (Z7 and Z6 I think). I am very impressed with the results of the Meguiars NXT so far.

The NXT has been getting mixed reviewes on that website, the biggest complaint is the endurance....only about 3-4 weeks. That is not good and as you say, on a black vehicle the heat is unbelievable. You can put a drop of water on the hood of my jeep (before starting it) 5 minutes after the sun hits it and it will actually smoke. I think it's GREAT that there are some detail enthusists here as well!! I think I am going to clay, then do the Wolfgang twins and after curing do the Pinnacle (I'm still reading though). With a new finish I shouldn't have to worry much about imperfections or swirls, so now is my chance to make sure I don't get them!! With the 3 steps it took me all day to do a Wrangler, I can only guess how long it is goig to take me to do the truck!!!!

TOXIC

That's whay I only do mine once a year then chamois it the rest...you have to with black or it looks like crap;)

Back