Shed Anchoring

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
With the wealth of practical knowledge on this site, I figured where better to pose a cosntruction question ;-) ...

I'm building a 10x12 shed. I completed construction of the floor which sits on 3 rows of 4 blocks. I had consciously decided that anchoring the shed to the ground was not necessary before I screwed down the plywodd flooring. It will probably weigh close to a ton so my only concern is whether it is possbile that it may slide on the blocks during a serious windstorm/hurricane. Now I'm second guessing whether I should have anchored it somehow. Does anyone think there is a real practical reason to anchor it to the ground?

Thanks

Paul

I build them when I taught building trades in my High School. We didn't anchor them for two reason's. Many additions or nieghborhoods have covenents about structures with a fixed or anchored foundations. Second a shed's going to blow apart before it blows away. You can prevent the roof blowing off by anchoring the roof gabels to the wall's top plate with metal brackets. You can buy them or make em. You can anchor the wall's bottom too the same way.

You get a wind that's gonna move that you have more to worry about than a shed.

fatrap

Paul,

I have a 12 x 16 shed in my backyard. I built it on 4x4 runners sitting on cinder blocks about 5 years ago. This past spring my 50' post oak tree which stood next to the shed was ripped from the ground roots and all by the wind, but my shed never moved....I think you're safe.

Doug

Thanks guys! Great info. My mind is at ease and I'll push forward with the walls.

I'm building the walls, then putting them up. Do you guys recommend putting the sheathing on before I raise them or after?

Thanks

Paul

Putting the sheeting up first will make the walls a lot stronger. WOOPS read the post wrong. walls, then sheeting, then roof gables

fatrap

Hi fatrap,

Not sure I got your last reply completely. Do you mean build the walls, raise and secure them into place, nail up sheeting, then do the roof gables. I'm trying to clarify whether it would be easier to install the sheeting before the walls are raised or after.

Thanks,

Paul

Code requirement in Montgomery County, MD is that sheds are to be anchored into the ground. My neighbor had one built this summer and they had to anchor it to the ground. I think it is usually done for larger sheds.

david....

While on this topic I have a question:

I am considering building a shed myself. I am considering building one large enough to place my boat in (PT175) so it would be around 10'X22'. If not that big, then around 6-8'X12-16'. My question is two part:

1) Is there a strong and appropriate way to put a roof on it without using trusses?

2) If I put it on a concrete slab, what would be the best way of anchoring the walls?

Thanks

Use metal roofing lenght ways and you should use less trusses. Also if the slab is already there you can either drill and add concrete anchors or you can add in the ground tie downs like they use for mobile homes. Either way should work.

Firescooby,

You can hand frame the roof with rafters and a ridge board. Most carpentry books will tell you how to figure rafters. For anchoring the shed you can put in anchor bolts in the fresh concrete or drill the concrete and use anchors and bolts.

Gene

Latest posts

Back