Saturday boat pickup

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Roberson

Reaction score
Picking up my new "used" 1997 912 Savage at the Springfield, MO BP dealer this Saturday. I've already made the trip to inspect the boat and it's about what can be expected out of a 10 year setup. It has it's fair share of minor scuffs, scrapes, dings, etc.., but is in respectable shape all in all.

They will make a complete run through of the boat with me before I leave and have said in advance that everything is in working order. Any suggestions out there on particular components I should check / double check? It will be a dry run through at the dealer shop (no lake run).

They also gave me a gentleman's agreement that if I find anything wrong within the first week to let them know and they would "see what we can do" for me. So initial lake run check ideas would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

1997 200 HP Nitro 912 Savage Single Console

Nick, not to burst your bubble because it's obvious you want this boat but I would never buy a boat without taking it out on the water, Period... They have "said" everything is in working order.. Is that in writing anywhere? It would be before I bought it.

"They also gave me a gentleman's agreement that if I find anything wrong within the first week to let them know and they would "see what we can do" for me."

Ok first off, I don't know if any dealer out there is gentleman enough to offer a "gentlemen's agreement." Second off, they'll "see what they can do?" Why can't they put into writing just what they would do? That part of what they said/promised would make me run so fast their head would spin.

Nick, all being said, I wouldn't buy that boat or deal with those people. There are a lot of really nice boats out there that you don't have to jump through hoops to get.

Good Luck with whatever you do..

Uncle Billy

I don't know about not dealing with them, but I would not buy a boat without

putting it on the water first.

Considering we sell about 1.5 million dollars worth of used boats a year, I doubt we are doing too much wrong. When the average price is around 9,000 (that's a lot of used product)

We go to great strides to make sure that all components are in working order. If a new customer should however find out that something is not working on his intital test run, we will be more than happy to bring the item in the shop and get it repaired.

you don't get that from too many people/delaers selling you a new "used" boat.

If we had a body of water closer than 50 minutes away or the manpower to take 2 hours out of the day for each test drive we would do it. So instead we try to give our customers a little piece of mind and say we will adress ANY issue that causes him concern on his maiden voyage.

Nick never hestitate to call me after your buy that 912 and i will be more than happy to assist you in anything you need.

Josh Petty

Customer Service Supervisor

Tracker Marine Boat Center - Springfield, MO

417-891-5284 Phone

email: [email protected]

That's about as good as it gets right there.:cool: Try getting that kind of promise from one of those guys on eBay.

Harpo

Nick,

Sorry for the typo above...."never hestitate to call me before or after you buy that 912"

Hey Josh,

Thanks for the reply. That's good customer service!! I would suggest that you hook Nick up with one of your State Team guys for his first run. Having been on the State Team here in Virginia, I did my fair share of first runs with new customers in their boats. A quick lesson of the mechanics, how to best get on plane, livewell usage etc., is usually welcomed and most of the "Team" guys can do it on any model new or used. After all, that's in their job description right?:lol:

TOXIC

Toxic,

We try that approach many times. My State Team is great. The guys are spread out pretty thin this week, they are hosting a fishing seminar in Bass Pro over the weekend as well as helping with our boat show Thurs-Sun. But you are right, those guys are on-board to help with anything we need and they always step up and put a good foot forward for us.

Josh, I meant no offense to you, I was simply replying to what was written by Nick.. You would also have to agree that the statement., "They also gave me a gentleman's agreement that if I find anything wrong within the first week to let them know and they would "see what we can do" for me," is a far cry from "If a new customer should however find out that something is not working on his initial test run, we will be more than happy to bring the item in the shop and get it repaired.

I know you have to understand that those two statements do not mean the same at all. Having said that, and taking the chance that you will be P.O.'d at me again, why not put that promise in writing?

I am more than happy that you monitor this board and what you have responded here is very good customer service. I also hope you realize my position based on what I knew from Nick's initial posting.

What surprises me is the response from some of the NTOWS members who I've heard and learned from on more than one occasion, tell people exactly what I told Nick. "Don't buy without taking it on the water, get everything they are saying writing, etc..

Again, my response was nothing against you personally. There are a lot of dishonest dealer's out there who would have told Nick exactly what he told us YOU said. "See what we can do"

just sounded very funny and untrustworthy to me. I beg your forgiveness but hope you understand why I responded the way I did.

Uncle Billy

Everyone,

Thanks for the candid comments around my 1st (didn't mention that earlier) major boat purchase. Not my first time out on the water by any means, but still have a lot to learn and digest.

Uncle Billy,

No bubble burst here, I really do appreciate the comments. I didn't mean to lead anyone one way or the other, so sorry if I wasn't clear in my post. I've been cruising this board for the last few months while thinking about which boat I wanted and have read several other informative posts from you. Really good stuff here.

Josh,

Thanks for the reassuring comments. You guys (Brian C in particular) have taken good care of me with answers to my questions while I was there and via remote email.

'preciate it again.

Uncle Billy,

I am never mad about anything I see on here. Every one is entitled to their own opinions and points of view. I saw our dealership referred to in your post and I wanted Nitro Nick to see a point of view from both side of the fence, so to say.

This is an open forum where we all can discuss any topic and we all get our points across by hitting "reply". I took no offense from your post and I hope you took none from mine.

My salesman told Mr.Nick exactly what I tell them to tell the customers about should they have a problem. I don't want them getting into specifics but I do want them to let the customer know I am here should they have a problem. I will always give a customer a written account of anything I say. He did not ask, but Nick if you want something in writing just say so and I will have it with your paperwork on Saturday. I don't know if I will be in the shop Saturday.

I am a big believer in taking a new/used boat our for a test ride. I would never buy one from an individual or delarship I did not know without it. That is why we try to take the extra steps to make sure nothing is wrong and have an action plan in case something does happen. Trust me, no matter how much we sell or do, we are still human, and mistakes can and will happen.

By the way Nick, I saw your boat this morning. It was in rigging bay 3 going through final checks and from there it will head to detail to be prepped for your pick-up.

Bass Pro boat delearships get a bad rap a lot of the time, just wanted to make sure Nick knew we were here for him as we are for anyone who owns our product.

Change is on the horizon,

Josh

Change is on the horizon,

I like to see that - I love my 929, but hate having a lot of people look down on it becuase it is a Nitro. (Stiil would not trade it for anything but a newer model)

forgot to add - welcome to the Nitro family Nick

I'm not mad at anything either Petty. There are very few people who defend Nitro/Tracker and BPS more than I do. I am now just jealous of Nick and his New ride.:( and I really like your sign off "Change is on the Horizon". Boy I hope so!!!

I'm still glad you're monitoring this site and will be able to help out now and again with member's questions and concerns.

Nick, welcome aboard and I hope you get correct answers to any credible answers you might have..

Uncle Billy

We're gonna need to see some pics of that 912 as soon as you can manage it, Nick. Good luck with the boat! As starter boats go, that's a real dandy!

Velcro,

Don't worry about people looking down on your boat. I have a 929 too and don't give a rat's behind what anyone thinks. It's my 3rd Nitro and has been just as good as the last two so unless someone wants to buy me another brand than their opinion of my boat is meaningless. I'm proud of my boat just as you are so don't let childish nonsense affect that.

I agree Woody, I had a Ranger owner (2005 185 w/150) ask my how much I paid for my Nitro at a weigh-in, as he'd gotten a great deal on a left over 2005 and wanted to see if he "beat" my deal. I had to inform him I was the 3rd owner and that boat was a 1999, so my used purchase price wouldn't be a good comparison to the amount he financed on his ranger!! LOL It was nice to see a 1 yearold bassboat owner thinking my 1999 Nitro was new!

Trep,

LOL. I bet he was shocked to hear it was a 99! I enjoy taking guys out that have never been in a Nitro and listen to their comments as they realize it's not the junk they expect. I think a lot of people are just hard on boats and don't take care of them and then think it's junk when it starts falling apart from abuse.

Sometimes I feel like pulling the decals off my boat and get some HONEST opinions from clients that ride in it. Problem is most of my clients wouldn't know a NITRO from an Allison!! I do get a lot of tourney fishermen that are amazed at the deck and the way it fishes.

TOXIC

That would be a great study Toxic and the results would be interesting to read for sure. Maybe you can get a grant from Nitro to carry on a study such as that? I'm more than half serious about that. Being the cynic I am though, I feel as though your idea would be stolen and instituted by some high profile guys.

Nick, good luck with the pick-up.. Drive careful and be safe. THEN take some pictures so we can see your "new" boat..:)

Back