Santee Cooper Lodging

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Greco

Reaction score
My brother and I are looking to spend 4 days at these two lakes in April/May timeframe. I've checked out a few camps and lodges but wanted to see if anybody can recommend a place. We are looking for lake front cottages or something similar. Also want the ability to put my boat in a slip and have access to a restaurant without driving anywhere. Also which lake is better and is the diversion canal any good?

Canal Lakes was a nice place, right by the bridge in the middle of the diversion canal. Ray Sedgewick owned it and put me up there a several times when we fished BASS T's there. He sold it since then, so I'm not sure how it's been the past several years. It has a ramp/slips and a nice place to eat. Those bridge pilings can hold some fish, worth a look see. The gravel bar on the right just past the bridge heading South (by the chain link fence/power lines) is a good spot to work as well. The blow-throughs on both sides heading South at the end of the canal are great areas to work. (spawning/staging grounds) I like the North end of the lower lake around to Black's and on the other side to Angel's Cove. Good grass, spawning flats and some protection from the North winds. The Hatchery area around to the South of Angel's is very good as well. If it hasn't gotten muddy or the winds aren't kicking the Brickyard on the North side just west before entering the canal is a very good area with stump flats, ditches, and live trees. (key on the ditches at the edges w/ wood) I've stayed and eaten at Charlie's (or is it Harry's?) on the North end of the canal, too. It's got decent cabins and great location with great catfish and ramp/slips. The rock piles at the base of the channel markers right in front of Charlie's can be profitable also. Good luck!

*edit - SP

Blacks Camp (has motel and great resturant---plain and simple but nice)

TAW CAW camp ground small hotel but nice---store has most needed items but eats are a few miles away.

Mom, Dad and I stayed in the cabins at Santee State Park two years ago. With winter rates, the cabins were as cheap as a hotel room. They have kitchen area, living room area, and two bedrooms. You can't get any closer to the water because they're actually built on a pier over the water. It might not be what you're looking for because the closest restaurant was a few miles down the road but here are some pictures anyway. :)

Santee State Park 1.jpg

Santee State Park 2.jpg

Santee State Park 3.jpg

Back