saltwater and aluminum

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike chip

Reaction score
what are your thoughts on aluminum boats used in saltwater. I am looking at a boat that might be to good to pass up and i cant find anything wrong with it. ( it has a saltwater merc on the back 125hp) it has been used in the bay for 2 years and i could not find any salt residue anywhere, i could see some on the galvanized trailer.

What boat Mike? I know I used to fish exclusively with an aluminium jon boat in Galveston bay in the early 90s. Heck when the PC 175 came out there was a dealership in FL that put a polling platform on the back and sold it as the "ultimate bay boat"!!

I know a bunch of folks on the board have opinions, let's see what they are.

Trep

I see aluminum boats up here in JAX all the time fishing the ICW for reds and trout.

Mike, I live on a salt water river so fish a lot in that body of water. I have had a multitude of Vee bottom and Jon boats and now fish out of my PT-17. I have never had a salt related problem. I always hose the boat off, inside and out, with fres water when I get out of the water and also flush the motor.

Bill

the boat in question is a tv-18. the guy has added a ton of upgrades, trolling motor, bimini top, radio, gps, and a few more. But he is only asking payoff which is around 11k. It has approx 100 hours on it and looks to be in like new condition.

mike

Back