Salt Water Running

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud Martz

Reaction score
My boat has never been in Salt Water before, but I was thinking of doing some fishing this winter down in the Gulf. What special precautions do you need to take to insure that the salt water won't mess up the outboard or hull of my boat. Any experience or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bud

Just flush your motor out and wash the boat down and you will be ok. If you fish, remember to do the same with your gear!!

TOXIC

I was told boat trailers that weren't galvanized or tublar steel trailers, were subject to rusting from salt trapped inside the tubes. My Nitro trailer is tubular and washing it down would be a problem.

My last trip to Florida the yatchclub trailer was just painted channel but easily washed with fresh water. The wiring however was never the same. I personally wouldn't put my Trailstar trailer in salt water. In my years afloat with Uncle Sam's Canoe Club I have seen salt water ruin just about everything. But if you change boats every year it's the next guy's problem.

My two cents.

fatrap

The boat is no problem, If the trailer is tube steel you'll regret dipping it in salt water.

I used to dunk my trailer back in a freshwater lake as soon as I could after dunking in saltwater.

david.....

To also agree with BMCD, I wouldn't put anything but a galavanized trailer into salt water. You will wind up regretting it in the long run.

Maybe consider finding a marina that will 'lift your boat' off the trailer and into the water, for a fee.

Tex

Thanks for the help. I always thought it was something that could be done without a problem, glad I checked first. I guess the best route would be to see if a marina would lift it into the water for me.

Thanks for the info,

Bud

Back