Sales tax on used boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Bertrand

Reaction score
I've got a question on taxes...I live in Arizona, where we have a sales tax. If I went to Oklahoma to possibly purchase a used boat, would I have to pay Arizona sales tax when I got back if I purchased it? Does Oklahoma have a sales tax. Sorry for the simple question.

Josh

No sales tax on boats or cars here. If you registered it here in Oklahoma you would have to pay excise tax & license tag on the boat and motor...but not the trailer. I have no idea what sort of taxes you would have to pay in Arizona. Perhaps you can search around in the Arizona tax commision web site and find the answer or I'm sure a tag agent could school you.

Where are you buying a boat?

Harpo

Thanks for the info. I looking into a 1999 896 at Bill's Marine in Skiatook. Where are you in location to Skiatook? Have you ever heard of Bill's Marine?

Thanks.

Josh

Skiatook is about 25 or 30 miles north of Tulsa. I'm about 100 miles west in the Oklahoma City area.

Try this message board....BassZone. It's Oklahoma based and most of the regulars on here are in the Tulsa and Skitook area. They will tell you everything you want to know about Bill's Marine.

Harpo
http://www.basszone.com/messageboard/main.htm

Thanks Harpo,

I checked the ruling and it looks like I only have to pay "use tax" when the boat is registered.

I'll check out that website.

Josh

I looked at the same thign here in pa, I was gonna buy out of state, but I would have had to pay the taxes here in PA where its registered anyway........thats here

you pay sales tax where the boat is registered.

IMPORTANT NOTE---

check your state regulations on taxes on used boats. In Tennessee you only pay sales tax on the value of the used boat, not the trailer, motor, or accessories. If something like that applies, then be sure to get a bill of sale with values for everything listed seperately. It saved me a bunch of cash.

Joshaz, More than likely Fish and Game will charge you when you transfer it over to AZ ... and the MVD will also get you when transfer the trailer. But I don't think they will call it sales tax

I am in Chandler

Sales tax sucks. I had to step up to the plate and pay TN sales tax when I registered my boat eventhough I purchased it in PA a 1,000 miles away. Oh well......

Back