Safety chains saved the day

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamar Gilbert

Reaction score
I hit a bad bump in the highway this morning and all hell broke loose. The bump was bad enough to cause the hitch to jump off the ball. Only going about 30 mph or could have been a disaster. The chains kept the boat in control till I could stop. A friendly telephone repairman stopped and helped me put it back on the ball. When I got home, I pulled the hitch off and inspected it. There was some obvious wear on the latching. I guess I have pulled the boat close to 1000 times in the last five years.....time for some wear on the metal. New hitch will be in Tuesday.

The wear was on the bottom of the hitch.......never thought to check it. Lesson learned...almost the hard way.

YIKES!!!

I've gotten to the lake before and found I didn't put the lock pin in and the hitch cap was popped up!! One good bump and I would have been in deep do-do myself.

TOXIC

I had a load of wood on a short trailer once and it came off the ball. I was only going about 5 mph, but I had 16ft boards on a 10 ft trailer. Saftey chains cought the toung and jerked the trailer back then forward into my SUV. Man was I sick. I finally discovered that the latch was to loose, and about 5 minutes with a 1/2 inch socket and I was good to go. Moral of the story check and make sure your latching system is fitting snug aroud the ball.

On a side note it makes me wander why we lock our trailer. Since all a person has to do is get the right socket and loosen the latch enough to jack the trailer up over the ball. Oh welll, I guess it keeps honest people honest.

Donnie

Get one of these. Safety chains are great but if your doing 60 and your trailer pops off, then your in for a ride. This system is both great for Safety and Security!!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=SMNJ5WKZVFKLMCWQNWQSCOYK0BW0EIWE?id=0032008017523a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0240301&cm_ite=0032008017523a&_requestid=32889

Max <><

Latest posts

Back