Running new TM wires in a PT 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenji Snow

Reaction score
I have my front deck off to make easier access for my new 6 gauge wires. I traced the old wires and they are foamed into the hull in several places. I want to keep my batteries in the back and run the new wire to the front but the obvious route (Where the old wires are) is blocked by several bulkheads and foam. Any suggestions on a good route to run the new wires? I want to run them inside the starboard throttle panel to the bow via the current route but it's blocked by foam and I dont want to dismantle anymore decks but am willing to cut holes as needed.

One keen observation on the construction. Tracker used zinc steel screws which rusted and caused some electrolysis due to the two different types of metal. I am using zinc again until I do my re-carpet job next winter when I will use stainless. If you have the time, check under your decks and replace your screws. Unbelievable that a boat builder would mix metals and use crappy screws.

Thanks,

Kenji

[email protected]

Hey Kenji...WTH ya' been?

I'll be pullin' my deck this winter and adding afew things so I'll see what's goin on.

BTW...If most don't know, you were the one that gave me the idea of using Sharkhide on my boat after I polished it out. Still looks great after 6+ years. If you have any unpainted metal...this stuff is worth the money. Highly recommend it.:cool:

I have no info on new TM wires:(

Kenji, I ran new 6 ga wire on my old 2001 PT-185. I didn't have the luxury of removing the deck. In retrospect I believe it would have been less work. I started the project with the foolish delusion that I could simply pull the new wire through with the old. WRONG!! As you stated the wire runs a rather crooked path through foam and bulkheads. I ended up cutting away a lot of foam with a filet knife that I accessed from the locker behind the passenger seat. I also pulled the panel and rod locker on the port side to make the roller coaster path for the cable around the bulkheads. Not much to describe there... just a lot of work. Another bump in the road was finding the 6 ga battery cable long enough for a boat. I finally found it at a big NAPA store downtown that carried it in bulk. The next problem came in finding the copper connectors to the battery and 50 amp circuit breaker that I also installed at that time. I found those at a store that sells lights and accessories to the semi-trunk crowd. Then I had to go to a speciality battery shop (they're the ones that sent me to NAPA) to crimp them on the cables. After all that I had to locate the Minn Kota 6 ga. adapter for the TM plug receptacle.

I guess it was all worth it. I always had great performance out of the Minn Kota AT-55 that started this whole project. The Oklahoma wind was always tough on the little tin boat but that Minn Kota always fought back and never ran the battery all the way down or popped the circuit breaker.

I know what you mean about the cheap screws. I replaced a lot of them with stainless steel over the years particularly on the front panel where the TM plugs in. I even went a little extra and used the decorative washers too.

I ran new wires on my old TX-17 by crimping the new to the old and pulling them straight through. I had the same foam issue but it worked for me. I used the slimmest connectors I could find and wrapped the splice in electrical tape before attempting the pull and it worked out ok. you might give it a shot

Thanks to VA Chris for the advice on crimping wires and pulling em' through. I also applied some grease to the wires around the taped-up splice to help it slide through. Worked like a charm! BTW, I am new to this site, and I'm a new Tracker owner after recently buying Jim C.'s PT175 w/ 40hp. I decided to upgrade to a 24v system because my bass club has a few yearly tournaments at trolling-motor-only lakes (mainly Little Seneca Lake in Black Hills Regional Park, MD). I tried NAPA for the cables, but they didn't have them. I discovered a West Marine only 5 miles from my house, and they had everything I needed (6 gauge cable, 50amp breaker, battery tray and terminals. They were very helpful too).

Hey Rob!

Great to hear you're already making the boat your own!! What did you get thrust-wise for the new trolling motor and where the heck did you manage to squeeze in two trolling batteries? I thought the back area was too tight for a 24v set up! I'm thinking of upgrading the 53lb'r on my G3 one of these days.

Hope the Tracker's treating you right. I posted a pic not too long ago of my first bass over 3 pounds (heck, it was over 5 pounds!!). Only took six years of bass boat fishing and a new (used) boat to do it. :D

I got a 65 lb thrust Minn Kota All Terrain, on sale at Bass Pro Shops. It's a tight fit in the battery compartment, absolutely. With the second battery I had to slide one end in first, then push it as far as I could to the port side, and squeeze it in so it rights itself. There's a guy in my bass club with a PT175, and he had the dealer install a 24v system, so I knew it was possible. I was really surprised by how much bigger and heavier the Minn Kota was than the 12v motor guide it replaced. It's massive in comparison, probably weighs 4 times as much, but feels sturdy and well built. I haven't had it out yet, but I'll let y'all know how it goes. I'm fishing in the annual Geico employee bass fishing tournament with my buddy (who works for Geico) on June 18th on the Potomac, launching out of Leesylvania. It's on a Wednesday, so hopefully there won't be as much fishing pressure as on the weekends. I plan on doing some pre-fishing too, since this will be my first tournament as a boater, and I'd love to put my buddy Andy (and me) on some fish!

Jim,

Just a little assist my brother, there is 1 more 24v 70lb thrust TM on the Tracker Marine Store on Ebay. It is like $369....better snatch it up fast if you want it. I was cruising their site last night and saw it. It is the same deal as mine, the shaft collar is a little discolored but mine has worked flawless.

TOXIC

Thanks Tox! Hoping for a bit more of a deal since the motor comes without a mount. Could use my existing Gatormount, but I've heard about problems with the collar staying tight with the newer motors. Either way, I'll have to put that on hold until I get a new fishfinder. The Lowrance X71 is toast. No help from Lowrance Customer Service - not surprising as the unit IS over five years old. Fortunately, Dick's has the Humminbird 565 on sale.

Robbie - be careful on that part of the Potomac. The combination of large water, current, tide and wind can make that stretch pretty treacherous. I never felt comfortable enough to do it out of the PT175 - probably because when it comes to big rough water, I'm a bit of a coward! Regardless, good luck and boat lots of fish!

Jim, I don't plan on going across the river down there. I know from experience that the water can be calm in the morning, then have 4 foot waves on the main river by noon. And when you're fishing back in creeks off the main river you can't tell, because you're protected from the wind/waves.

Back