Rod Saver ratcheting tie-downs....I'm a little disapointed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marke Cicero

Reaction score
Well, a few months ago I had tried to save a few bucks so I purchased the Rod Saver brand ratcheting tie downs rather than the Imco Boat Buckles. I probably launched the boat 12 to 15 times since my purchase and they already broke.

The internal spring broke on one of them so the strap would not automatically retract when I would undo the strap to launch the boat.

I keep all of my receipts so I simply returned them to BPS last night and caughed up the extra $30 and got the new Stainless Steel Boat Buckles.

Same here. I bought some from Wal-Mart last year. My problem with them was when ratcheting them down I had the choice of either leaving them somewhat loose or too dang tight. I usually chose too tight and eventually the handles bent. Wal-Mart let me exchange for something else even though I didn't have a recipt or the package.

Harpo

That's too bad. I have the Ranger brand (don't know who makes them actually) but they are great. If the spring does go, to get home, you can just ratchet it in, then do it like normal to put the boat back on at the end of the day. I thought mine went once, but it was just bound up with grit, road grime and dirt, and some weeds. Cleaned it all up, oiled it, and working fine again.

I am prety happy with my new boatbuckle stainless ones. I had an old set of boatbuckles and i broke on this year, they replaced them at a very reduced cost with the stainless ones and nw im a very happy camper.

I have the original boatbuckles for 3+years and not a problem. Sorry to hear the rodsaver ones aren't up to snuff, I am always for buying the cheaper product IF it works.

Back