Rod Locker problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl Wolfe

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas on storing rods in the rod locker on a 1998 PT185...tired of pulling one rod out and ending up with 3.

I looked back through the archives and saw some of you are using golf tubes...any pictures of this would be helpful

I see some of you guys are also using "rod socks" to store you rods in your boat lockers....I looked on the BPS web site and can't seem to find them

Any help ??

I have never had problems with getting rods out of my rod lockers, and I don't use ANYTHING to store them. No golf tubes, no rod socks, no PVC... nothing. I even took that @#%$&* rod rack out of the rod locker of my Triton. Did nothing but slow me down and rip off guides.

All I do is put the hook on the hook holder of the rod - or the top of the reel if the rod doesn't have a hook holder (mine all do). Then I hold the string in one hand and the rod in the other, and spin the rod around in my two fingers / thumb. After your line is "wrapped" around the rod, put it in your rod locker. They seldom ever tangle, and I carry between 12-15 rods almost every trip. When you are ready to fish, simply hold the rod in one hand, grab the line with the other, and spin the rod the opposite direction. Couldn't be easier.

All the best,

Glenn

See my post on an earlier topic,,I make a system for the 175 & 185 that will let you get 10-12 rods in a box very neatly with out the tangle mess...It looks like it came from the factory installed...I sell them ready to install with shipping included for 60.00..Email me if you want a pic..Some other people make them from metal or wood,i use a nylon plate system that will never rust or rot and will hold up as long as your boat,also will flex if your boat flex,s instead of wood breaking or metal bending or warping....The opening in our boxes on our Trackers isnt like the glass boats that just have a huge open area to lay the rods in...We have to make every inch count....I worked on my set up for a couple of months making multiple types to find which is just right,I use 7 ft rods too......Good luck

I f you have a Gander Mountain near by they have the rod socks. Page 163 Bass Pro Shops 2006 master catalog, 3.99 ea. stock no.21-325-890-00.:rolleyes:

I now use the rod socks exclusively. I tried making something (what a pain and just didn't do the job). I've also tried the technique described above. May work well on an 'open' rod locker, but mine is tight and small. Still had problems.

Socks solve all my problems.

Tex

My vote too for the rod socks. I heard about them here and they have been well worth it. I can now put 7 or 8 rods in my PT 175 rod locker and never have a tangle issue. Tried the method that tritonglenn mentioned. To me, it didn't seem to work as well. Plus I like the way the rod socks protect the rods.

The socks are hard to beat for convenience. When I left gear in the boat with a rod rack, I spun the line like Glenn and had no worries. Living on the water, I don't leave anything in the boat worth taking, so it's not much of an issue. I travel for fishing a good bit still and the rod socks are nice protection as well as tangle free.

I also vote vote for the use of rod sock I have a pro 165 and I can put up to nine rods in and get them out without being tangled up.

I agree with dave the best is the socks... I have a 165 too and it makes life easier.. the first thing I say to a new bass boat owner is get the socks..

Dave how did you make the front storeage on your 165 lockable did you install an certian type of lock??

Thanks

X

I use Cabelas rod socks and Bass Pro reel covers (with the velcro on one end); a mixed marriage!

The rod socks work really well, but I still would like to install the rod tube setup one of these days.

My PC 175 had build in rod storage (4 tubes) but even that (I had to put 2 rods in each tube to get my 8 in the locker) I ended up bending/breaking some of the guide.

My Nitro now has Rod Socks!! no problemous!

Sorry guys but socks are for your feet....This is the real deal here
Locker1.JPG

Rod socks here also. Not one tangle problem since using them. I also keep the socks on the the rods when I store them in the vertical rod rack in my garage. Keeps the dust off of them.

I have an Avalanche, I use the socks. I can easily get 18-20 rods in one box.

Back