Rod holders

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
When ever I take someone fishing and they bring 2-3 rods, my PT175 deck gets real crowded. I was thinking of adding a couple plastic pvc rod holders in my boat to solve this problem. The place I was thinking of was just behind the rod holder compartment. Of course they would be sticking straight up while running to different spots or trailering the boat to launch. Any better ideas? Thanks, kenny

Isn't there room to lay them on the rear deck? Or couldn't they lay along the gunwhale by the passenger seat?

That's one prob with the 175 & 185...not enough rod storage.

I usually lay their rods down along the seat like Marty said.

And if I bring someone esle...I cut down on how many I take.

i sell you a loaded 898dc, like new under warentee, mint condition....it will do more than solve your problem.

Yea, I usually lay them along the seat but was trying to think of a better solution....I thought of screwing one or two white plastic rod holders to the plastic console like they have em set up in a bay boat with rod holders on both sides -then I thought of doing it just behind the rod box. It would be mostly for running and then when you get to a fishing spot, they could go to the back deck.Having rods on the back deck while running......they could disappear.

I use up to three of the plastic vertical holdees they are fine when running.

Kenny, I have a PT185 and had a similar problem. I bought a rod tie down and mounted it behind the passenger seat near the rear of the boat. The rods will lay flat on the deck with the rod tips going up past the passenger saet on the gunwale. It works good and secures the rods.

Now that I've got my head out of my arse where I can see your boat pic much better, I recommend that you simply fold down the middle seat, lay the rods on the floor and secure the tips to the rear seat some how. They'll stay put until you reach the next destination.

I have a 170TF with the same problem, too many rods w/ two guys. I did the same as Bill B. and mounted the tie down on the back deck, passenger side, just in front of the battery compartment lid. Buddy straps down the handles and he puts his arm on the side of the boat anyway during the ride, which is over the rods for extra security. Never had a problem with them moving anyway and run about 47mph from spot to spot. Easy and inexpensive fix, good luck.

JPH

OK, I added two vertical rod holders that should work great. I used two pieces of 1 1/4 "pvc(9" long) , screwed em to the back of the rod locker with self threading screws. You have to drill a larger hole first to get the screw driver or nut driver through then a pilot hole for the screw. I will send a picture of the addition if I can figure out how to do that. For those that need rod space, it is an easy and cheap solution. This way the rods are safe and out of the way plus easy to grab when you are ready.

Be careful throwin' a spinner or crank and hook one of your rods:eek:

Tee, I won't have em up when fishing, only when on the move to fishing spots.....or driving home.....

Latest posts

Back