Rod Holders 97 700 LXDC

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sold boat

Reaction score
I'm interested in putting rod holders in my front compartment's, just wondering if anybody has done this on the 700, my rods have a hard time going in now because it is short, would the rod holders make it easier, harder, or just keep them from getting tangled, silly questions but was just wondering?

I tried to make a rod holder for my Stratos. Used the instructions on this site. It worked out fairly good, until I actually first tested it. Then I took it out.

Since I have a 17-8" boat - (dual console), I have a short area also. What I found was that where I needed to have the entry into the tubes, made me hang the rods way out over the water to get them in and out. Made me very nervous. Also, I did not put in the larger tubes for spinning rods (my fault), so my spinning gear wouldn't go. Other problem that I ran into was the eye's on my rod getting hung on the 'other end' of the tubes, making it difficult to extract.

I'm putting rod socks and/or returning to foam pipe isulation, on my rods. Not as elegant, but given what I found, works fine.

Just a note, I bought one of the rod socks that BPS sells, and I love it. They are not inexpensive (around $6), but they are top-of-the-line.

Tex

Thanks guy's, it's a pain putting them in and taking them out, just looking for options, I don't think the front deck is long enough to put the strap type holders on top.

Steve B.

Steve, look in the Resources/Grab bag section, and you'll see my rod holder project, as well as other variations.

It definitely helps keep the tips untangled. 6'6" rods are about the limit. The 700 doesn't like 7' rods too much. They crowd in right to the tip of the bow, and can get tangled in the wiring up there.

Steve, I have a '98 700 LX and built a rod organizer in mine. I made a template of the left side rod locker from bottom to where the deck meets the rod box. I cut a piece of plywood to this form then cut holes into it to accomodate the plastic golf tubes. I have room for 22 rods and carry 16 with me. I can get to any rod from top to bottom without any trouble and they never tangle even with lures attached.

Back