Road trip to Austin Tx...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
ok, looks like me and the mrs will be heading to Austin Tx this friday to meet Pat at waypoint marine...

Yes, that lovely 911 will soon be ours...

Looks like a journey of about 1100 miles (each way).

Any suggestions, tips, tricks and stayover points will be greatly appreciated.

Looks like major cities along the route include Mempshis, Little Rock, Dallas and then Austin itself.

Plan to Drive down on Friday, sleep, see Pat on Saturday to to go over the boat and take her out for a spin and head home Sunday.

MAN Sim, I was wondering who got it so quick and if they would own up!!! SWEEETT!!!

So, where does the 901 go??

It goes to Austin as well... only it's staying behind.

It understands, and even gave us a good run this past Saturday. It's looking forward to it's next owners and has promised to treat them well.

Not really much to see in Little Rock. I lived in Dallas for 15+ years. I really liked it. However, not sure just how much I would recommend it for a stayover. Specially this time of year. If you make it to Dallas in the early afternoon/evening, just go on to Austin. It would be a great place to spend an evening. Specially if you like live music.

Now Memphis is a neat place to visit also. It would make a good layover point for your trip back. Memphis Bar-B-Que and Blues.

Tex

That's great Sim, a decent trade in and you get to not have to deal with the sale! Great!!

Way to go Simmy! :) That sure is purty! I'm ready whenever you are:)

LA... I'm sure we'll be stopping in memphis... that looks to be pretty close to the halfway point AND there's a BPS close by!

Tee, the only complaint I got from Barb was (and I quote) "Does that mean we wont get to go smallie fishing next weekend?".

Smallies are biting at night on the big C... I've even got a "secret" (lol) color combo that's been outproducing black/blue...

We should be back there on teh new moon... should be a grand weekend!

BPS in Memphis is a small one from what I understand. I've never gotten to stop there. The BPS in Grapevine (Dallas) is worth going to, for sure. They have a 16+ pound largemouth in there. The drive between Memphis and Dallas is simply horrid... there's nothing to see and I-40 from Memphis to Little Rock is mostly trucks... luckily, they've finished at least most of the construction.

If you get hard up in Dallas, maybe we can get together. But I figure your mind is on two things... picking up the new boat and getting back home.

You'll be coming through Oklahoma City too. That's where you will hit I-35 to head south to Dallas. Call me (405/818-4528) and I'll buy lunch. There's some good places real close to the BPS which is right at the I-40/I-35 interchange.

Harpo

Memphis to OKC to Austin is not exactly a direct route. Them Sooners, they think everything goes through Oklahoma!

Tex

One thing for sure all your best high school football players go through our universities.

So how do you go from Little Rock to Dallas on I-40 without going through Oklahoma?

Harpo

The only thing I remember from my trip to Midland from Baltimore, if the option is to go through Dallas Fort Worth or go around it GO Thorugh. It's like Atlanta as far as traffic goes. You can close your eyes in Arkanssas there is nothing to see but cotton fields. Safe trip.

BF

OK, DUH. I looked at a map. I-30 going SE from Little Rock. Tony, I'll still buy your lunch if you come through OKC.

Harpo

Just barely Harpo, just barely....

From what I can tell, OK City is quite a ways off the beaten path for us... do a mapquest from Lexington KY to Austin Tx... that' the route we're takin unless someone has a better idea. (that or the mapquest map doesnt have the detail I need).

With that in mind, if it's possible, I'd like to meet a genuine sooner fan, I hear they're kinda rare these days...

What I'm really trying to figure out is how to spend part of the day at lake fork... I think that would just make it totally work, how much is an 8 hour fishing license for two? Any tips on a guarunteed BIG fish for the wife?

What do you mean rare??? I can show you about 80,000 rabid one next Saturday when we play Bowling Green for the season opener. After seeing USC barly squeek by Va Tech we're already counting our chickens.

The best I remember a temporary out of state license in Texas is 15 or 20 dollars. I'll bet if you do a search for Texas Fish & Game Dept, you'll find out. Mind your prop, that is one lower unit eating lake.

Harpo

Back