Revisiting the 'world record' in CA

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
During the last week or so, we had an interesting thread about the large bass caught and released in CA, that was submitted for world record consideration.

The recent issue of BASSTIMES, had several articles in it, regarding the catch, and also brought several items to light that had previsouly not been reported. In addition, they had interviewed a number of industry and association particpants, to ask them for their opinions. Most notable, Ray Scott, who sits on boards for any number of fishing related organizations.

Most of the article, brought forth the same thing that many have said. The fish that was caught was a large fish, but unfortunately, it had not been handled and/or verfied appropriately for consideration for a world record. When asked by BASSTIMES, what he thought, Ray Scott replied - 'Gobbledegook'.

Two items really stood out for me that I did not previously have knowledge about.

The first, was the length/girth measurments that the fish had, and what those measurements calculated out to. I don't have them here, but basically, the length/width measurements calculated out to about a 17+lb LM, not 22+lbs. Meanwhile, the measurements on George Perry's fish, were considerably larger/longer that the CA fish. In addition, if you look at the picture of the fish, and compare it to some of the pictures of other 20/21 lb bass from CA, the fish does not look as big at all. Of course, that is a matter of personal interpretation.

The other point, that I really found interesting, is that the lady that reported catching the fish, with the help of a friend, is now approaching rod, reel, line and tackle manufacturers about her 'world record'.

Methinks that this was/is an attempt by someone who caught a big fish, to now catch a bigger one.

Tex

Yeah...Paul Duclos tried it and failed also...keep tryin' boys & girls. Now Bob Crupi I believe..I've looked at all his pictures and don't think he's tellin' any stories(plus he's a cop). I'm lookin' at a picture right now of an 18.58 lb. largemouth that Crupi caught and would dwarf that fish she's holdin'...gobbledegook!

TEE

I would personally shy away from any company that endorsed or otherwise tryed to capitalize on what can only be discribed as a fish story ! We expect more from an industry that we all have so much invested in !!

Here's the comparison.

First, the fish and the lady. Reported to be 22+lbs.

lady_bass.jpg

I don't think that those are her arms in that picture.....

Or, more specifically, the forearms.....

they doo look kinda beefy dont they me!?

the photo looks like its been altered and the fish looks a

lot smaller too.

T.S.

You know, I had not even noticed that. They sure do look suspect, now that you mention it. That's one pretty big meat hook, for a lady that size.

Tex

I don't think I'd want to argue wit her about it "NOT being a record" LOL!

TEE

Most women who have thin ankles normally have equally thin wrists.The color of the forearm skin does not match the rest of her body.The shadow of her other arm does not match the position of her arm itself.And also while I'm at it,whats up with here knees? There out of alignment...lol

If you think the knees are bad you should have seen the ankles!

signed:

The Bass She's Holding

If I ever catch a record size fish, I'm just gonna throw it back and not tell anyone!!! The criticism would be to much if I paraded it around!!! If I shoot a record buck, I'll just eat it and use the antlers for stirring the stew!! LOL!!

Bob G.

Dang! You guys are picky!

Personally.....

I think she's got great knees, legs and probably ankles, too!

Actually..... Now that I look back again..... She's really kinda cute! Somebody invite her to the Rally!

Great knees???.....one is 6" lower than the other!! LOL

I wonder if everything else lines up??!!! LOL!!!

One knee is bent, the other is straight.....

Looks like she's standing with her right foot higher than the left.....

I still say she's cute!

Invite her to the Rally!

Scott,

She could be a corpse and you would think that she was cute!! LOL!!

Bob G.

Wel-l-l-l-l, Bob..........

You obviously never saw Goldie Hawn in "Death Becomes Her".....

Back