Removing Rub Rail

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herndonpro

Reaction score
I have a 2000, 929 and I think my top cap is loose, I want to check and see if the screws are loose. Has anyone ever removed the rub rail and reinstalled it? What is entailed?

Thanks,

HP

A bunch of screws, a couple of tubes of silicone and a good drill/driver with a few spare batteries...

I have done a few of them. 901, 911 and 929's. If you suspect it is loose, it probably is. Make sure you go with bigger and longer screws, stainless steel ones. They arent cheap so buy the in bulk from a supplier, not from a marine store. The hardest part is getting the silicone to look good after you are done.

Mini

PS make sure you re-install them less than a foot apart and try not to re-use the same holes if they are "wallerd" out. You will find broken and bent screws. Dont be alarmed....it happens to alot of brand boats. Especially in my neck of the woods.

Mini is right. I have to do mine a couple of times a year but they don't (or haven't) stripped out. I have epoxied them in and they come right back out. One more tip.....DO NOT remove the whole rub rail at once. Pull about 2 or 3 feet off re-do the screws and put it back on moving forward another couple of feet. If you take it all the way off it will be a BEAR to get back on right. I also did not re-drill and sink new screws, too much electrical stuff back there for me to feel comfy doing it.

TOXIC

Thanks, for the info guys. How is the rub rail installed? Does it have an outer frame with a center insert is the entire black piece that I see removed?

Tox - It looks like you have to loosen it at the back of the boat and work forward, not sure how you do a couple of feet and put it back? It looks like you have to loosen it at one end open it up to the point you want to get to and then retrace your steps back to the back again?

Sorry, for all the questions just trying to eliminate as much frustrtaion as possible before I dive in.

HP

Remove the center rubber strip, you can pry it out anywhere carefully with a screwdriver. Look close you will see the line where it comes together with the upper and lower rubber pieces. The screws will be in the middle. The rub rail itself is a fitted piece, I push the top in first and then snap in the bottom. Not saying you couldn't take the whole thing off but there is a certain amount of stretch when wrapped all the way around the boat and my money is on that it won't go on the same way it came off. I have gone around my 2000 929 2 feet at a time:lol:

TOXIC

Thanks again, I'll give it try and let you know how it went.

Hire It done.....ha ha ha I don't do anytjing anymore I'll call carlos to come repair my Monkey Boat..Maybe he will bring Tox with him...and I can get somer fishing lessons for free......:D

Haven't done it but I have heard a hairdryer may make it easier to deal with.

Tox is right too, the first 911 I did I took the whole thing off and had extra when I put it back on....lol

Do a section at a time, the warmer it is the more pliable it will be so a hairdrier will help.

Mini

This should help....

boat assy.jpg

How can you tell if the top cap is loose? What are the symptoms?

Rub rail loose, rattling, water in rodlockers...etc.

There are many. Easiest way is to pound your fist below the rub rail and see if the hull moves. This is more evident in front of the console(s).

I have told them time and time again, that if they filled the cavities full of foam this would alleviate 80% of it. This would also take more trim pieces inside of the rodlockers though and a couple of extra manufacturing stations....

Another way to tell is that your rub rail gets "bumps" for lack of a better term when the screws back out and press against it. When running your boat will also get more vibration and lose that solid feel when you cross a wake or waves. This summer I amn going to bite the bullet and re drill and hope for the best!!

TOXIC

Thanks to everyone for all the help. It was a fairly easy process. Found approximately 15 broken or bent screws and every screw was loose to some degree, after seeing that there has to be a better way. I know boats taking a pounding and that is really true on my home water, but I'm glad my truck is constructed with that method or I'd be picked parts up off the highway.:eek:

HP

Thanks to everyone for all the help. It was a fairly easy process. Found approximately 15 broken or bent screws and every screw was loose to some degree, after seeing that there has to be a better way. I know boats taking a pounding and that is really true on my home water, but I'm glad my truck is constructed with that method or I'd be picked parts up off the highway.:eek:

HP

Back