Remington 710 30-06 question

• Thread starter Mark Gross [URL]http://gunsandbullets.com[/URL]
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad. I don't know what the 710 is going for now but the best deal out there is the Stevens 200. The 710 has plastic feed rails, a plastic trigger guard, a pressed in barrel, and comes with a cheap scope. The Stevens goes for less than $300 and is basically a Savage 110. A model that has been around since the '50s. Put a decent Weaver scope on it and you have a very servicible rifle that will be more accurate and longer lasting than any crappy plastic rifle. I am a huge fan of Remington, especially the shotguns but in the case of the 710, the MBA's in the front office laid a huge egg. Take a gun nut's word for it. You will regret purchasing a 710.

NoCAL

A good friend of mine has one and he loves it. I have a Rem-700 30-06 and sometimes I wish I had the composit stock got some nice scratches in it.

NoCAL, Thanks for the feedback, But doesn't the Rem.700 also have a press in barrel ??

I didn't realize the feed rails and trigger guard were plastic !

The one I was looking at was on auctionarms.com .

Hutch911 thans for your reply. It seems to be a love or hate relationship.

mark

Mark,

The 710 is the only rifle other than .22s that has a press-in barrel. In all model 700 and all other rifles the barrel is screwed into the reciever. I'm sure enough research was done to show that a press fit is strong enough but when you are shooting upwards of 60K psi it just seems logical to have threaded metal to metal fit.

Plastic is not the correct word for it. It's probably some very hard type of polymer but it isn't metal.

NoCAL

NoCal - I think the word for it is Delrin. It's a type of polymer / nylon. In some of Remingtons other rifles, the trigger gaurd is made of it also.

I have to agree with NoCal. When buying my first high powered rifle a few years back, I looked at the 710. I had owned tons of Remington Shotguns, .22 rifles, etc... so I figured if it was made by Remington, it had to be good. I was wrong. The overall feel really was not to my liking. It just felt cheap compared to others.

My choices ended up being between a Savage (can't remember the model number) bolt action or a Remington 700ADL (black synthetic stock, non-removable magazine). I bought the Remington in .270, and I think it's the best choice I've ever made. I have a few buddies with 700's - mostly BDL's - nice wood stocks, removable magazine, etc... and although my friends guns look better than my ADL (I love natural wood finish with the grain all showing, etc...), I wouldn't trade any of them for it. I don't worry about my gun getting nicked or scratched up. I take care of it, and try not to hit it on anything, but watching my friends with their beautiful wood stocked rifles, walking through the woods like they are carrying a newborn baby, is quite funny to watch. The shine on the stock may also be seen from a distance if you are not careful. The first time I was able to pick my friend out of a tree about a hundred yards away by first seeing the shine on the stock of his rifle made me decide to go with the black synthetic stock. Matte finish barrel, scope, and rings makes for a pretty deadly looking combo. I love it.

Pass on the Remington 710. Either look into the Stevens that NoCal recommended, or a Savage - basically probably the same firearm - although I've never looked at the Stevens, or save up a bit more and buy a 700ADL - actually not that much more expensive than the Savage was. It's worth the extra money to get quality that will last.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks guys for all the info .I have decided to pass on the 710 and save up a little more change for the better rifle. I also like the synthetic stock for the same reasons . For know I'll just use my swedish mauser and work with it. The rifle has been sporterized and the bolt has been turned down to acompany the scope . The stock has been modified but not replaced. I believe I'll work on replacing the stock .

Mark:)

Mark

A "sporterized" M96 Swedish Mauser in 6.5X55 is an excellent Deer Rifle... You can get most of the major brands of syntheic stocks for that model. Quite a few yeasrs back Kimber sold some commercially "sporterized" M96s... I wish I had one.

Your right on the money Greg . It 's a great rifle . the one i have is an excellent grade,blueing is perfect all nubers ar matching. Had I originaly owned the rifle before it was sporterized I don't think I could have done it . Although whoever did this one was a very fine gunsmith. Its a 1915 Carl Gustafs manufactured at Gevar .

It was used for two World Wars it had to of been a great rifle !

I'd like to get my hands on one of those French rifles . I here that all of them are like new never fired and only dropped once !:D

I appreciate your first response Greg.

Mark

Back