Recommend a tournament boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
So, I decided yesterday I would list my boat on a few sites and maybe it would sell sometime this summer. Well, a guy called today and is coming on Saturday and is very excited about it. Now, it might not sell but I guess I better start thinking about what I would get instead.

Now, those who have been around awhile know I have two 8 feet garage doors which kind of stinks because I don't think I will get a bigger boat in there. So, guess I will renting some storage.

What would you recommend for fishing bigger waters, maybe like KY lake. I was thinking maybe a Triton 19 X (which is almost 20 feet) with a 200hp motor. I don't want to go too big or too small or too little hp. I also would like to keep the weight under 3500lbs which is my current tow rating. I will probably upgrade the tow mobile some day but not right now.

I will be buying used and would like to keep it around $20,000. I would love to buy another fish and ski but I am not sure that would fish well for someone in the back of the boat.

Suggestions?

Certainly, bigger (longer) is better on the bigger waters. If I was 'trading in' my 18 footer, I'd be getting at leat a true 20' rig, if not 21'. See if you have a dealer that will let 'demo' a larger boat on a windy day (used or new).

Tex

The guy just left me a message and wants to make an offer on the boat and get it on Saturday. I was really not prepared for this. I suppose it's a good problem to have but bad in the sense I will be without a boat.

You are certainly in the "gold rope" area of operations now. :D:lol::D

Terry - The good news is that this is the best time to buy, economy is down, LOTS of folks bought too way more boat then they can afford normally, let alone in this economy, should be a buyers market!

As to KY lake, heck you know i fished it out of a 17ft alumimium on KY lake and did just fine!!! LOL

Now you going single or dual console? or what ever you can find? I LOVE my dual console, and so does anyone who fishes with me in the cold/wet/hail!!! LOL And I know duals sell better north vs. south, but get what you are comfortable. I'm the kind of guy that would go dual, hoping that if i was a backseater in a tourney, my boater would have a console especially if cold/wet...

Just did a quick search on boattraderonline.com, under $20k for a 20ft boat, looks like 2000-2002 boat with a 200-225HP. Make sure some of the guys here with 20ft boats give you realistic weights, don't know if a boat that big would tip 3500lbs when you gas her up, load her with tackle... And remember your tow rating does go down when you start loading the vehicle too with people and realy heavy stuff... I had thought with a 3500lb vehicle rating, I was thinking nothing more then a 19fter with a 175. Looking for example at the Nitro z-7 estimate of 3000lbs package weight, figure thats with the mid motor (150hp) and not 100's of pounds of fuel and gear. So maybe not more then a 18.5ft with a 175??

Trep,

There is an 05 Triton 19 x here in town with a 200hp motor still under warranty for $22k. He said he pulls it with a Ford Ranger or Ford Escape with no issues. I may take a look at it. He thinks it would fit in my garage but I highly doubt that.

ranger vs. the escape would be 2 diff things. The Escape no mater which engine I believe is rated to 3500lbs, the Ranger is rated to 5500lbs I think with the 4.0ltr motor. Anyway, just double check and be safe, thats the most important part! Don't want to be in an accident down the road and have your insurance not cover you because the weight of the full package was over your vehicles rating.

I wonder, at this rate, will you start buying boats quicker then tow vehicles!! Lets see I remember the Nitro F/S, the Triton F/S, the Nitro 750, and now a bigger boat! Girl you gotta get a state/pro deal then get a new one every year!! LOL

07 Ranger 178VS 3 blade and 3 blade SS props, MinnKota MaxPro 80# with Tom - IL

07 150 Merc Uni Sonar, Lowrance X135's console and bow, Hamby's, Yorkville, IL

Optimax recessed TM pedal, tournament package, custom Ranger $24,200.

cover, Smart gauges, 3 bank charger. Like new (26 hours).

Listed 1/26/09P Call Tom: 630-553-2991 home, or email for more informatio

Bet he'll take 20.......

07 Ranger Z-19 26" Renegade, hydraulic jackplate, Lowrance electronics. Jay - TN

07 225 Evinrude Boat is like new, garage kept. Priced to sell. Dayton, TN

HO Call Jay: 423-775-2698 home, 423-618-9094 cell, or email. $29,900.

Listed 1/20/09

Bet he'll take 22-23.....

Sorry for the sloppy cut and paste but you get the idea.....

TOXIC

If you are not concerned about speed, the Ranger listed above would be sweet, but I know you can get great deals right now on used Nitro 901's. This is what I run and it is 19'2" but fishes like a 20 footer. Not sure if it would meet your towing weight though and I know it won't fit in your garage. I have 9ft doors and I have about an inch or two clearance on each side. I think my next rig will be a z-7. really like those rigs and the prices on them.

Derek Chance

BTS / KVD Line & Lure

Stahlman Powersports

Hi-Tech Collision

I agree with Toxic, take your time and look. I have seen some incredible deals on boats. My tournament partner bought a one year old Basscat with a 225 proXS loaded for $30K. I have seen '06 Nitro 929's asking $25K. Get an idea what brand and size your looking for and let your NTOWS pals help you search. Looking is almost as much fun as buying.

I am kind of partial to Triton. Never owned a Ranger but heard they are good boats. Either would be easier to resell then Nitro, Skeeter, or Stratos in case I got laid off or something. I would drive 5-6 hours from Nashville, TN for the right deal. Fire away with ads.

Toxic, what were you looking at? I have browsed Craigslist and BFHP for TN.

go used, toxic is right, there are a hell of a lot of good deals out there, a friend just boat an 07 triton 20 x with a 250 xs, for less than 30 k, it was a repo boat and came with a full warr. and the mechnic said it was perfect.

mike c

Teri,

C all me. I can make you a GOOD deal on my ride.....

I also take care of my stuff too....

Teri - shoot, I'd definitely call Carlos! His boat was a hoot to ride in and fish out of - although it has been a while (hint hint CIII!).

One thing to really be careful of is that tow rating. My vehicle maxes at 3500lbs too and when I was looking around, I recall that nothing 20' or longer was going to be under that limit - except maybe tin (e.g., Xpress X21). Be sure to test ride the rig with your tow vehicle as well as on water!

If you decide to buy... Get a Ranger teri you will never look back.....Go at least 20 foot Z 20 boat Is almost 21 foot...I can direct you to a dealer friend on KY Lake If your Interested...Carlos has a Great Buy on his boat......JR

Jim,

I am on the hot side this weekend! I have a reworked prop to test! You out any?

I only looked on Bass Boat Central. They list a lot of boats. The Bass Fishing Home Page does as well but I don't wander over there as often. If I had to choose, CIII's boat is sweet, you get a little Mac Daddy history and maybe CIII will even throw in one of the die cast models made of the boat!! I have one from Mac. The good thing about a Ranger, like the boat or not, is that they sell quick and for a fair price. In the bass boat world Tritons are a little harder to move.

TOXIC

Carlos - have to go down this weekend (Sunday) to kill some fuzzy intruders (mice) in the garage. What day are you down? Ping me offline so we don't hijack Teri's thread! :eek::lol:

There's smallie mojo in CIII's boat too. :wub: Maybe even waypoint's to Mini's Chit! :lol:

Gene

Just be careful in selling your boat. I had a 17' Ranger and I had several that were not valid. I got a check from one and it was fraudulent, issued on a bank in Fl. Be sure you look him in the eye and verify that the check is good. Good luck and my advice is buy bigger than you think you will need.

Teri - check out C&O Marine in White Bluff, TN. Have heard nothing but good things about them on BFHP. They also have a large stock of used rigs too - last I checked a 19' Triton Mag and a 21' Xpress (yes, I'm partial to tin - but your tow vehicle should be able to handle either rig!).

The beam that divides your garage doors can be removed if it is non weight bearing and just exists for decoration. Once the beam is removed the wall is reinforced and one large garage door will replace the two. I had this done eight years ago for about 2200.00, good investment if you plan on keeping your house awhile. By the way, the Z7 with a 175 opti is a great boat if your considering a new ride, does well on big water. Gilly :)

Gilly, I have considered exactly what you said above; however, I don't know the right person to call to have it done. Last contractor never showed and I just gave up the idea. Seriously considering it now. I knocked out the drywall and there is no support beam running down. Really not sure on my own how to tell how load bearing it is. I was considering calling contractors today but got busy and didn't get around to it.

wow....one day wanting to be a co-angler, then a pro, now wanting a "big" tournament boat...

My little girl is all growed up!:wub::wub:

Slow your horses down filly. There amazing deals out there if you look. Sell your boat if you have a buyer!!!! But shop carefully for your new one.

For a frame of reference, the price range you are looking at is perfect right now. You can find boats all over the country from people that cant afford them to people that have traded them in, to people that want to trade them but can get more on their own (the sellers of new boats have pretty full lots)

BTW I spoke with judy Wong about you today....:)

Mini, I sold my boat today. Don't really have anything in mind so I can't move too fast. I am still hoping to be a co-angler this year. I will find out more midweek. My fish and ski was my favorite all around boat so I am considering a Ranger Reata as well as bass boats. Not sure what I will end up with.

Hopefully, you at least said I was a nice lady.:D

Teri, From someone who did the opens as a co 1 year and then went pro the next year. Do at least 2 years in the back and learn more than I did. You will learn so much about what to do and not to do. I learned more from the back of the boat as a co fishing the elites than any place else and that was about fishing and being real. I have been back boated by the best and also told to cast in front of the boat to land a keeper.

You will me the best and the worst of people.

BF

I don't want to influence your choice of boats but I would like to give you my experience about size of boat versus tow vehecle. I bought a 19 1/2 foot 901 and owned a Ford Ranger. It was a great truck:wub:. On the first outing my wife and Daughter joked me so bad about the fact that the poor little truck looked like it was trying to take a dump that within weeks I was forced to buy a new f-250:D. If you move up in boat size you will probably need to move up in veheicle size if you trailer alot. I don't know how to add an attachment but if you look in my library you can easily see the difference between the two vehicles.

Thanks Tim,

Hey teri....the guys are right, there are LOTS of boats to be had at a great deal.....here's a few places to check:

http://www.boatboss.com/?search=Triton&all_locations=yes&catid=-999&view=ads

http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/triton

even EBAy motors....

Pierre

Latest posts

Back